Skip to main content

On The Surface


A couple of weeks ago, on a Friday night, I turned to put something back into the refrigerator. Pivoting around to the counter to retrieve my dish, I noticed what appeared to be a stray hair over my eyelash. Not so. Maybe a bug or a stray gnat. Nope. I decided to wash my face. That didn't help either. Then it hit me. It's a "floater."
Yup, I've developed a floater on one of my eyes. In case you don't know what that is, I'll tell you. A floater is a microscopic bit of protein that breaks away inside the eye. They normally occur as one ages. Floaters can take a number of forms; some see shapes or circles, some see spots or cobweb like shadows. Mine is dark gray to black. It's buggy in every sense of the word. Not too bad when I look straight ahead, like drive or watch TV. When I read it really bothers me. It's like a bug moving with your eyes.
I went to my eye doc a few days ago and got good news. My eyes are healthy. That helps. But now it's a waiting game. Perhaps it will go away in time. Perhaps it won't get worse. I've heard that some people are dealing with bursts of floaters like a pepper shaker spilled all over your field of vision. Then there is that wonderful organ, the brain. Our brains will compensate for things like floaters. After a while they can train themselves to look past and beyond. I hope that happens.
Some little disturbance that suddenly appears is a good way to put your life in perspective in a hurry. Sure I'm frustrated. My little flying friend is circling the screen as I write this, reminding me of its presence constantly. But it could be worse.
I guess it's a good thing that I can't get too much sympathy from my friends and family. They quit asking about it early on. My doc says that the considerable amount of reading or time online that I spend really will not affect this condition. Sure it affects eye strain, but it can't do damage according to her.
I, however, am still looking for the message. Does this mean I need to make a change? I certainly could get more exercise now that the weather is changing and Spring seems to be on the way. Does it mean that I really should do more fishing? I think so. Going to get my fly rod out this week. I'm going to clean the fly line and fondle my flies. That's right, I like to look at them, ruffle the hackle a bit and arrange them in boxes designated for specific streams and lakes I like. Pretty soon I'll be the floater...staring straight ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...