Skip to main content

Marvel...in Seconds

This day is something special.  It's hard not to miss the connection between the Martin Luther King birthday holiday and the second inauguration of Barak Obama as President of the United States.  A great reminder that change is possible and that it often takes time.  Particularly incisive and poignant were the comments of Congressman John Lewis this day.  Having marched with Dr. King and laid his body on the line in the fight for civil rights, Lewis has a uniquely original reaction to all the events and media coverage.  While the pundits scramble for words and superlatives, Lewis need only draw on his personal experiences.  He need only marvel that he is here to take it all in.  When the widow of Medgar Evers, Merly Evers, delivered an invocation, one wonders what must be going through her mind. I wondered what Lewis' mind was doing too.
In the last week we've seen many other forms of truth winning out at the end of the day.  From Lance Armstrong's "confession," if that's what it can be called, to the refusal of the Baseball Hall of Fame to even consider the steroid tainted accomplishments of former major league stars like Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, it's easy to catch yourself mumbling about how things have changed.  To put an exclamation point on the lack of ethics in sports, so prevalent today, we learn of the death of Stan Musial today.  "Stan the Man" was everything a ball player should be.  I don't see any more like him on the horizon.  I don't see any like Willie Mays and Hank Aaron and Ernie Banks either.  Baseball is so specialized now that we probably won't see the likes of Warren Spahn, or Satchel Paige, or  Jim Palmer again.
     Things change.  We can't go back to what was no matter how we might deceive ourselves or want to deceive ourselves.  We can only celebrate, and keep memories alive, and marvel, as Congressman Lewis does, at how fortunate we are at having seen and done what we have.
Lately I see change everywhere.  Tide rolls in and we either move or get wet.  No matter how I might long for the days where teachers were revered, and were able to use their creative skills without stepping on any one's vision of "reform," the profession today is definitely not the one I retired from a few years back down my road.    Kids write on laptops more often than not and they find information instantly by searching electronically.  Nobody goes to the library.  Or if they do it's because there is a computer there.  I'd love to see the book check out records of public high school students these days. It's possible that the books aren't there any more too.   Teachers use You Tube for videos.  Movie projectors do not exist in the mind of a student in 2013.  When not constantly battling with students to put their electrical devices away, teachers might even have a class discussion. But that can be like pulling wisdom teeth. Many kids don't like to talk in class these days.  Are they so uncertain of their ideas that it's easier to keep quiet?   And yet a strong case can be made that these students in the classes of 2012 and 2013 are more knowledgeable in many ways.  They may not be able to tell you the capital of Bulgaria, but they can find it in seconds.   By the way, it's Sofia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...