Sunday, October 28, 2018

Safe Man

I had a little problem with my front door lock the other day.  That's when I met Jack.  The key to one of the two locks on my front door would go in, but wouldn't turn.  Time to call a locksmith.  I phoned a recommended source and Jack appeared.
Jack can best be described as a journeyman.  He's a career professional and his career just might be a dying breed.  Everything is going digital and locks and safes are no exception.  But until that day, an old school locksmith like Jack will continue to make a good living.
Jack can get you in.  He can actually diagnose a problem from a fairly accurate description.
"This will take about 20 minutes," Jack said after looking at my problem.  He adjusted a few things and then returned my key.  It seems some small part had broken off on the top lock.  When his repair was complete, in about 15 minutes, Jack went on to explain that the top lock, the deadbolt, was in fine shape and really all one needs.  "That lock is your security," said Jack.
I got off easy only being charged a nominal fee for this home visit.  As Jack was writing out an invoice, we talked, or rather he talked and I listened.  I learned a few important things.  Jack can open just about anything.  "I'm really a safe man," he said.  "There isn't a safe I can't open."

I kept wondering how Jack got these skills and what kind of stories he had that would prove illuminating for fascinating.  But I didn't have much time, so I remained silent.
Jack had a riff about the difference between East coast and West coast doors.  He believes he can tell where a person is originally from just by the number of locks on their front door.  "Easterners have as many as 6 locks," he said.  "As if that really makes any difference.  I don't know, but that's been my experience, something I have noticed."
I don't know either, but now that I think of it, I wonder what it might mean.

No comments:

Alternative Service

 Writer Chris Hedges wrote a book called War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning .  Though the title says it all, more specifically, Hedges was...