Sunday, May 12, 2019

Do You Remember?

Research shows that memory is tied to emotion.  That makes sense.  Those life experiences that we will "never forget" are easily brought back to memory because they often are peak experiences tied to peak emotions.  Can you remember the most afraid you have ever been?  We don't usually forget that.
I've often been told that I have a good memory.  My own feeling on the matter is that I have an adequate memory but most folks don't even have that.  Recently I was told by two close friends on two separate occasions that they have no memory of occurrences that for me would be and apparently are unforgettable.
Probably the most fear I've ever encountered came one late night as a former roommate and I walked back to our car after attending a friend's music performance in a small bar/bistro.  We were surprised by a dark figure holding a shiny straight razor.  The would-be assailant barked out, "What you MFs want with me?"  We assured him nothing and I soon realized he'd mistaken me or my friend for someone else.  He relented.  We walked unmolested to our car, drove off and that was that.  Yet when I recently reminded my the friend who walked beside me that night, he had no memory of the incident.

The same thing happened when I was telling a guy doing some research on Pete Seeger about the time Pete came to a performance another friend and I were in about the life of Woody Guthrie.
One of Pete's old friends from the 1930s was in our little show and he invited Pete to attend.  Much to our surprise, Seeger showed up and a memorable evening ensued.  Yet, recently when I reminded my show mate about that evening, his reply was "I don't remember the gig."
Again: dumfounded.  Guess I need to lighten up about all this.  But how do people not remember these peak experiences.  Perhaps, again, one's emotions are the clue.
If you really want to have some fun with this, ask someone you trust what is the earliest memory you have.  Responses will most likely be varied with a good many folks remembering nothing from their first 5 or 6 years of life.  While I personally find that incredulous, it is all to often the response I get.
But...I understand that memory is tricky.  The longer I live, I find that memory is incredibly selective, as well as fleeting.  There are reasons for that.  Experiences that are similar get confused.  Sometimes we would swear that a particular song was playing at a particular time.  We have been telling that story for years.  Only to find out that we are wrong.  Someone remembers it differently for their own reasons that are attached to their own emotions. 

No comments:

Time Remembered

 With the recent rise in civil disobedience and demonstrations on college campuses all over the nation, it's not surprising that many of...