Saturday, June 22, 2019

Small Town World

It's a small Northern California town.  Charming, still in many ays, but like many towns this size, it has changed and is changing rapidly in this increasingly technological society.  Some would place it square in the heart of wine country.  Easy to do since one passes miles of grape vines on the path that leads here.  But no, it's really not in Napa county.  Not in Mendocino county either.  That leaves Sonoma county and that would be accurate.

I used to come here with regularity 30 years ago.  The glimpse of what it was then with its little downtown area of banks, curio shops and restaurants is still possible.  The tavern I played music in with some friends is long gone.  The little market has been replaces with a Whole Foods, and a couple of coffeehouses and a decent bookstore struggle along.
I could live here.  It's far enough away from deep urban problems, but it lack the diversity I'd crave.  It's close enough to major amenities and a hospital that true old age is possible here and definitely preferable than overcrowded suburbs.
People really do know each other by name and I'm told the parking restrictions are rarely enforced.  Today, we'll find out if that is true because I plan to be here more than an hour.
I have questions:  Is there a live music scene?  How is walkability?  A good mechanic?  And the most important question of all.  Can I get a decent cup of coffee and a proper bagel here?  Those things matter to me.
I've made my way to a coffee house where internet service works and the Americano I'm drinking passes muster.  I always order an Americano if the house coffee's strength is in doubt.  So far, so good. I like the size of this place.  Small tables and a large welcoming common table in the center. 
The barista noticed and complimented my tattoo.  That's a start.
But could I survive here?  Probably.  A local newspaper would be telling, but so far nothing of the sort has appeared.  I'll look again on my way back t the car.
In this currently reality we have to consider every quality of the weather.  Fire smoke might become a factor.  Drought and flooding not far behind.
It's not outside the realm of possibility that I know or know of someone who lives here.  Someone like me who has put in their time and now works on the identity crisis that comes with retirement.  In a few minutes, I'll walk some more and try to answer a few of the most crucial questions.  I've go time.  Time today and hopefully time to make any long term decisions.  And then there is the entire issue of politics.  How will these folks vote? Will they vote?  They'd better if they want the pleasure of my company.  It is a small Northern California town, but is it like others of it's ilk?  Or is ther something more?


No comments:

Time Remembered

 With the recent rise in civil disobedience and demonstrations on college campuses all over the nation, it's not surprising that many of...