Skip to main content

I've Seen Fire and Rain

 How much more dystopic can it get? We were wondering until the nearby forest fires surrounded us with thick smoke that gave us more reasons to stay inside and wear a proper mask if we have to go outside. 

"Greetings from the worst air quality in the world," is the way I started an email to a friend who, bombarded by media images of Portland, was wondering how we are managing in this new reality.  Many of my friends from Florida to the Yukon have checked in lately.  I give them a virtual smile and explain that we are muddling along.

This got me thinking about the extremes in weather and the natural disasters I've been through in the years before the pandemic.  Growing up in Southern California there were always forest fires that blocked the sun and sent light ash tumbling down on cars and backyard swimming pools.  Every few years we were sent home from school or treated to a day off by driving rainstorms that flooded local streets where flood control basins were inadequate.  We never had winter storms or snow days there.

It wasn't until I spent some time in Texas and Louisiana that I experienced the real power of thunderstorms and lightning that rivaled a war zone.  One time in New Orleans I saw a power pole struck by lightning and the spark-filled fireworks show that followed.  On another occasion, while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico I saw the beginning of a hurricane and heard the warnings to shelter on local radio.  

In my time in the Bay Area, thee were a few "Shelter in Place" alerts, but those were from human error with bad air from oil refineries or other industrial pollutants. It wasn't until I moved to the Northwest that some of the Central Oregon thunderstorms rivaled those in the South.  One time driving back to Oregon from Montana, in the state of Washington, we received an emergency warning on the car radio.  Ahead, we saw an enormous dark cloud and realized the next Tri-state Washington town where we were headed was right in the middle of it.  In seconds, the hail pounded and the visibility decreased rapidly so that everyone pulled off to the side of the road.  I recall the two barely visible red taillights of the car in front of me that I followed to safety.  When the sky cleared a bit, we took the first exit to a motel on higher ground as the little town's streets flooded.  When I saw a local sheriff patrolling in a rowboat, I knew we'd better just hunker down until morning when the floodwater abated.



In 2000, going, to a family reunion in Hamilton, Montana, we headed directly into a huge firestorm in the Bitterroot mountains.  All my fishing plans evaporated and the only sport I recall participating in was watching helicopters dip and drop water on burning hills.

All those areas subsequently healed but not before a mountain of lost homes, people, wildlife, and plans and hopes.  So too will our latest disasters pass.  Today, with so many restrictions on movement and options, it's a good day for only one thing.  To remember what we've seen before and to realize that the air will clear eventually and we will begin again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Non-Reader

"The man hasn't read a book in years." I keep hearing that about the current occupant of the White House.  Maybe that's as it should be because recent studies say that claim goes for over half the population of this country.  Scary but true.  It's obvious that the President doesn't know the history of this country.  Examples abound. Even for those who can forgive him for inventing the African country of Nambia (he referred to that the other day) the fact that he knows very little about American History doesn't seem sway his followers.  Either they know nothing too or they simply don't care.  Probably both.  Yet, the notion of ignoring history and repeating mistakes looms large all the while. A former colleague of mine, who taught Language Arts for a lifetime used to have a large banner in her classroom. When kids came into this learning environment they saw a sign which read, "Unless We Read, We Live But One Tiny Life." I'd love to hea...