Monday, June 28, 2021

Deny This

 Portland is doing its best imitation of Death Valley today.  Another record falls today.  As I write today it's currently 108 on its way toward 112 or 113.  Just for curiosity's sake, I checked on Death Valley.  It's 120 the same temperature it was on the day I visited that marvel of a landscape about 40 years ago.

While many in the Pacific Northwest are strangers to this kind of oppressive heat, I grew up in Southern California and recall days in July as a Little Leaguer when 3 digit temperatures threatened to cancel our games. They never did. Coming home to a cool shower and some cold watermelon were always waiting and made for a most relaxing end to the day.

When I lived in Texas, the heat was laced with humidity.  Same for the time I spent in Louisiana.  I remember one Sunday morning in New Orleans when I was meeting some friends for brunch in one of those old Garden District homes converted into a restaurant.  It was only about a half-mile from where I was staying so I decided to walk along St. Charles Ave. instead of taking the streetcar.  I'd showered and put on a clean, freshly pressed dress shirt that was dripping wet by the time I arrived at my destination.  I'm not a big sweater, so that's humidity.  



I can sit on my float tube, covered up, of course, in the sun for hours in direct sunlight.  The polaroid sunglasses help with glare, and if a slight breeze comes up, it doesn't matter if the temperature of the air is in the 90s.  If the water gets above 49, though, it's time to go home.

But today is really oven-like.  I just went outside to get my mail.  The wall of heat is just sitting and waiting for anyone to come along.  It is eerily quiet in my neighborhood.  No lawnmowers or leaf blowers. Very little traffic.  No dogs or cats around.  Even the birds and squirrels seem to have disappeared. 

Fortunately, we are supposed to go back to the high 80s or low 90s tomorrow.  A few clouds will return in a day or two and I might even venture out to my favorite lake to see if the fish are still laying low.

There is not much that can be done on or about a day like today.  I would, however, like to encounter a climate denier.  Not a leg to stand on in this heat.  


No comments:

Time Remembered

 With the recent rise in civil disobedience and demonstrations on college campuses all over the nation, it's not surprising that many of...