Friday, June 23, 2023

The Barber of North Portland

 Going to the barber shop is an entirely different experience in 2023 than it was as a kid in the 1950s and 60s.  Back then,  it was a man's world with calendars, magazines, and conversation. It was all male-centered.  



There was one barber who specialized in cutting women's hair, but I only saw him do that a few times in my first 20 years.  Today, I go to what I like to call, "my hipster barber shop."  Depending on the time of day, you can sip a beer or some good whiskey while waiting.  There are a few coffee table-type books but most folks just amuse themselves on their smartphones.  Those phones are used for obtaining appointments and making payments, including tips for the work done.

In my barber shop today, the haircutters are both men and women.  An equal number usually.  But what I like most is the conversation I enjoy with my favorite barber there.  He's young, 26, and loves to chat.  He's also very good at what he does, from the first few clips through to the shaving of the neck.  

    I like the conversation but must also note the music played is often rock and blues with a sprinkling of jazz and pop.  So different that the Perry Como, Bing Crosby, or Doris Day tunes from my childhood.  

The barbers often look like the historical photos on the walls there.  They have big, well-maintained beards, and wear pocket watches on chains.  But my man, Dash, is thin with short hair,  and a most curious disposition.

We talk about pop culture, books, music, and the outdoors.  Like me, he likes to fish and even fly fishes.  His fiance is always referred to as "my lady."  I think he's intrigued by the fact that I taught high school for 35 years and often asks me questions about that.  But the last time I was there we explored our age difference. It's 50 years!  "What's it like to be old?" he asked in all seriousness.  It's different and not different from being young I responded in all seriousness.  He liked the fact that I told him in my find I'm sometimes 19.  The body tells a different story, though.  

Last week Dash told me a funny story about the oldest customer he has.  This 90-year-old comes in about every two weeks.  According to Dash, "He has very little hair on the top of his head and what he does have on the sides is thin and rather wispy." 

Dash continued, "When I'm done he looks in the mirror, pats the wispy hair on the sides and then says, Yougive a great haircut." 

I don't thin I'll ever get to that stage.

No comments:

Time Remembered

 With the recent rise in civil disobedience and demonstrations on college campuses all over the nation, it's not surprising that many of...