Skip to main content

Otter Obsession

 Yesterday morning as I put on my Otter socks, a recent Christmas present from my sister-in-law, I realized that people now feel free to give me all manner of Otter things.  How this got started can only be attributed to my experience while fishing the headwaters of the Deschutes River in Central Oregon.  More about that later, but for now, let's look at how and why people get attracted to collecting specific things and why that passion is reinforced by their friends and family in the form of gift-giving.



I had a friend once who collected chickens.  She was so obsessed with this fetish that I found myself aware of anything representing chickens every time I went shopping.  Once in a while, but rarely, I gave her a chicken object.  It made me feel good to reinforce this obsession. The same went for an old girlfriend who collected penguins. She had a shelf full but no matter, people gave her penguins all year long.  My best guess is that when a person expresses such a strong feeling for a particular animal, bird,  or even a color, their friends take notice of such a strong response and are eager to reciprocate. It's a guarantee that your gift or thoughts will be appreciated.  Occasionally, the one receiving these contributions must tell everyone,  "No more, please." 

If you scan the Facebook groups, it becomes apparent that people collect all sorts of things.  It's clear, too that they have devised ways of displaying these collections.  The groups that collect what is euphemistically called "Black Americana" are particularly adept at displaying their passion.  Loads of Uncle Tom and Aunt Jemima's stereotyped figures adorn these pages, as well as sheet music, kitchen items, and various products of yesteryear.  The fact that these are often racist and vile images does not seem to deter these people.  In fact, it makes some of the items worth more because they have become more scarce and rare.  A huge market in old records is another collection area that has its own dedicated adherents.  This is an area where people can spend a lifetime trying to collect a complete set of something or everything released by a particular artist.  I once decided to see if I could collect every album in the RCA Victor collection of Vintage Series.  This was a group of albums released over 10 years in the Folk, Blues, and Jazz genres. I accumulated many, but one album,  "The Railroad in Folksong" still eludes me.  On the rare occasions, I think of it, I still search online or in record stores that still exist.  Obsession, mystery, or too much time on my hands? Your call.

II

I have a favorite spot to fly fish.  Over the years the place where the Deschutes River begins has become hallowed ground for me.  I first caught fish on the fly there, including my first brook trout.  Sometimes, my efforts were in vain and even when I did manage a fish or two, they were always small 6-inch rainbows.  Nothing wrong with that, but I'd seen bigger fish come from these waters. That all changed for me when a few years down the road, and higher up the learning curve I managed to bring two beautiful rainbow trout to the net from these waters. But my real high point came the afternoon when I luckily found myself alone where the river winds around a small island in the middle of a meadow.  It was late afternoon, and I was standing in the middle of the gently flowing water right before it split into two sections around the island.  To my right, a pair of eyes suddenly appeared from the bubbling surface.  A dog? A beaver? No, the head of an otter emerged.  I froze, not wanting to scare my new friend and also because this was, in fact, a wild animal and I was in his territory.  I reeled in my fly and just stood there because I didn't want to hook a fish and then have the otter risk hooking himself if he went for the fish himself.  My new friend disappeared and then quickly reemerged near the same spot where I first saw his eyes on me.   This time he brought his family.  First, his mate swam in front of me to the opposite bank, followed by two small otters, and finally, the man of the family brought up the rear.  When all had crossed safely in front of me, they continued to swim down the opposite bank in front of me and then away, and on their way.  That was a special moment for me.  If I never get to that spot again, I will always treasure that afternoon.  True Joy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...