Skip to main content

Oh Behave

 One look at the make-up of the current Congress reveals why nothing gets done.  There was a time when real leadership graced the halls of the people's law-making branch of government.  Today, some of the dialogue and exchanges resemble the worst of reality TV, i.e. those Housewives shows.  I wonder if those folks know the impact that can have on young people.  Imagine trying to role-play Congress in a US Government.  

For years, the Social Science department at the school where I taught incorporated a "mock Congress" as part of the curriculum for all government classes.  In this activity, students would take the role of prominent politicians in all political party and role play the House and Senate going through the steps of trying to get a bill they wrote through the process of law-making.  What better way to learn how the Congress works.  Writing a bill is challenging enough, but trying to get it through Congress with all its committees and debate processes is quite a challenge.  Sometimes the students would get so involved with their roles as senators and members of congress that they would take on the personality traits of those politicians. Given today's Congress...you see the problem. 



We could easily eliminate the likes of a Marjorie Taylor Greene, but then would we be doing a disservice to our students.  Perhaps a discussion where students suggest appropriate and inappropriate manners of speech, dress, and comportment would help remedy the problem.  I'd add additional areas of inquiry around the qualifications for a member of Congress that go far beyond age and begin to deal with general intelligence.  

I could probably name a dozen members of the current Congress that cold not pass a basic US history exam, let alone grasp the meaning and importance of Robert's Rules of Order.  

The recent shouting match of "schoolyard" insults shows us this is an issue that won't go away unless it is properly addressed.  

Doesn't our current concern about the threats to our Democracy encompass this topic?  I'm afraid it does. 

Perhaps a Constitutional crisis calls for another Constitutional Convention with the goal of improving on the model that is slowly wearing out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Non-Reader

"The man hasn't read a book in years." I keep hearing that about the current occupant of the White House.  Maybe that's as it should be because recent studies say that claim goes for over half the population of this country.  Scary but true.  It's obvious that the President doesn't know the history of this country.  Examples abound. Even for those who can forgive him for inventing the African country of Nambia (he referred to that the other day) the fact that he knows very little about American History doesn't seem sway his followers.  Either they know nothing too or they simply don't care.  Probably both.  Yet, the notion of ignoring history and repeating mistakes looms large all the while. A former colleague of mine, who taught Language Arts for a lifetime used to have a large banner in her classroom. When kids came into this learning environment they saw a sign which read, "Unless We Read, We Live But One Tiny Life." I'd love to hea...