Skip to main content

Having Been


Having been a seeker,
I danced with watercolors,
I traveled among leather-clad musicians,
who always fed me well.

Having been a thinker,
I slept upon waterfalls beneath
iron mountains, jumping below on occasion to
drink poetry in blue-black corners,

As  a politico,
I made choices from the heart,
stopping every few decades to pick
up the box of assumptions left hanging
in a distant wind.

As a laborer, I worked every hour
for the price of admission to the tent show
called "the system,"
I sat through each performance refusing to
show my appreciation for being allowed
to survive.

When I had been aged enough,
I came to believe in afterthought,
Early mornings are best to recover
all that has been lost.



Comments

Mike Rizzio said…
Having Been intrigued me enough to write a comment. We are in such different places that I sense there is good reason for this attempt. I’ve been to Portland and sat with a homeless vet. I was in California in the late 80’s and ‘felt’ the Watsonville tremor. I ‘was’ a Giant football fan. I fought a forest fire in the Siskiyou Forest, The Silver Complex blaze. I have been among other things and in no particular order: a hawk watcher, an Infantry soldier, a teacher, a fledgling poet, a frustrated song writer, a graphic artist, a storyteller, a gardener, an inventor, a might have been realtor. I have been around a dozen + fewer years than you.
I too am a seeker.
I am now a married Catholic husband and father of three.
Your writing is profound and your take reminds me of a good friend, film critic Henry Cabot Beck who is best friends with my sister Sue.
We do not see I to eye, heck we may be at opposite ends of the spectrum.
I found your site BECAUSE as an dark hour blogger, I go deep for material and a Google Search: Trifecta led me to http://bluesgreene.blogspot.com/2011/03/trifecta.html
Good to meet ya
Blues Greene said…
Mike,
Many thanks for taking the time to send a thoughtful comment. Good to meet you too. Yes, we may be at different spots on the spectrum, but I suspect that your views, like mine, are a bit more complicated than labels allow.
As you may know from my bio, I'm a retired teacher and ex-Californian living in Oregon for more than a decade. While I still work with beginning teachers and on rare occasions teach a writing class for grad students in Education, I am trying to find more time to do my own writing and fly fish Oregon's many lakes and streams. It's a struggle, but I use the blog as exercise. I was once a working journalist, with deadlines and got into the habit of writing quickly and going with an idea, no matter how developed it was in my mind. The blog keeps me in shape as most of the posts reflect either something ruminating in my mind for days or emerge when I sit down to write and see what I think about something. Often I'll come back to a post a few days later and add, delete, or develop what's there a bit more.
I take it you are not in California anymore? Your list of have beens is most impressive and certainly explains why you can resonate with some of my thoughts and are the kind of person that values writing. Thanks again.
Best,
Bruce Greene

Popular posts from this blog

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...