Skip to main content

Well-Served

The recent college admissions scandal has touched many nerves.  Those of us who have spent a good deal of our lives working with high school students have smelled rats for a very long time.  What's so troubling, aside from the ability of those in powerful positions to offer and accept bribes, is that the mythology of attending an "elite" school persists.  We know better.  We have always known better.  So why validate the notion that some schools offer a better education than others?
Excellent teachers are everywhere.  This is a claim that is easy to prove.  Evidence abounds.  In fact, many have known for years that the so-called elite faculty at many top universities never even teach undergraduates.
I was dismayed to see UCLA mentioned as one of the schools involved in the scandal.  Stands to reason, though, the faculty, campus location, and overall reputation of the school make it one of the more desirable choices.  Still, I hate the fact that my alma mater is involved in this kind of unethical behavior.  Even if  these questionable students get into a top college, straying there is another matter.  Unless they are buying grades or tampering with transcripts I shudder to think how some of these privileged students fare doing college coursework.  Make no mistake, doing well in college takes hard work, perseverance, and setting academic priorities.

So what do we do now?  Easy.  Change the system and get the word out about community colleges.  Because of a financial crisis in the state of California, I was forced to begin my college education at my local community college.  I don't know which was worse, having to wait 6 months to attend a state university (after having been accepted) or actually starting college on time at the community college.  In those days, they called the community college a "high school with ashtrays."  Truth be told, it was far more interesting and complex than I expected.  I found not only older students with varied experience but also professors who had taught everywhere from Ivy League schools to international universities.
Case in point: Mr. Prismon.  His reputation preceded him.  Some liked the fact that he didn't use a standard textbook.  No multiple choice tests, essay questions and term papers based on index cards.  Prismon's text was a volume called The People Shall Judge.  It was an anthology of primary source documents like the Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence, and U.S. Constitution.  The course was what we now call a document based curriculum.
I chose his class because I wanted to see what studying history was like without selecting A. B. C. D. or all/none of the above.  I wasn't disappointed.  Prismon was a gifted lecturer who knew what he was doing.  The foundation I got from that course served me well as I pursued my degree a few years later at the big University. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...