Skip to main content

Stay

Life in a divided country today is remarkably different than it was during the last era of division.  Computers, and specifically social media, account for that. Fifty years ago, as this nation fought an unpopular war, it wasn’t as easy as it is today to determine the politics of your friends, family, and neighbors. People didn’t post daily. They didn’t discuss their political leanings as readily, and they certainly didn’t articulate their differences the way they do today.
They did show up (or not) to political demonstrations during a time that the role of the media was quite different. Historians and social scientists of all stripes agree that the images broadcast during some of those demonstrations had a powerful impact on helping to bridge the divide(s) that encompassed the anti-war movement as well as the civil rights movement. Who could easily forget fire hoses turned on people who wanted nothing more than the right to vote and the guarantees of liberty and justice for all.  The same things exists today, but in my view, with far less impact.  After all, we have our hands full with the emotions and politics necessary for dealing with mass shootings.
The Vietnam war drove a wedge into families, friendships and political parties. Day by day the nation seemed to heal itself. The current use of the phrase “love it or leave it,” only serves to show how old attitudes can survive and that it is as difficult as ever to disagree with your beloved country’s foreign policy without having your patriotism questioned.  It's almost amusing how the "red scare" "Commie-pinko" language seems to have endured as well.  One need only look at the critics of FDR to hear what's being hurled at Bernie Sanders today.

One thing those of us who questioned our government's integrity and resultant duplicity learned from those divided times is that we don’t have to give up the flag or patriotic music, or even our expression of love of country.
This country has always demanded tough love.  It is still trying to come to grips with it’s original sin.
I’m hopeful that this period of division we are grappling with right now will shift and ultimately change with the possibility of new, strong, intelligent, and mentally healthy leadership. I trust my country to recognize it when the time comes to mark a ballot. Then we can all love and forget about the leaving.

Comments

Knourjua said…
Awesome post! Especially I like this blog. Because I have got more informative information from this blog. Totosite

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...