Skip to main content

All Systems Go

 When I see some of the highest officials in the US government deny the existence of systemic racism, I know they have no knowledge of American history.  They are ignorant, there is no other way to say it.  Anyone with any accurate knowledge of the history of this country knows about the institutional attempts to exclude various ethnic groups from all the blessings of liberty.  The documentation is there for all to see.  The primary sources are rich in detail.

As a history teacher, I always considered textbooks more as primary sources rather than the secondary sources they are.  That's because textbooks throughout the decades provide a revealing look into both the interpretation and inclusivity of our history.  These days any text worthwhile contains both narrative and primary sources.  In fact, the Advanced Placement history exam usually is based on historical interpretation of various documents.

But for the uneducated, history is a narrative.  It begins, usually with the Founding Fathers, and ends with the latest war.  It's names and dates, battles, and presidents.  How naive.  But the current crop of politicos rarely goes beyond any basic knowledge.  They cling to the George Washington and the cherry tree brand of story-telling.  How else could they make statements, like the current Attorney General has, that systemic racism hasn't existed at all?   



As a young teacher, I collected history texts so that my students could see how history is written.  Occasionally at a flea market or yard sale, I'd come across a real antique, or a narrative so biased that I just couldn't pass it up.  When teaching about racism, it's important to deal with images in the mind.  Occasionally those images held by the dominant culture are so racist, so intolerant, that they are all that is needed to open up a mind.  

I offer these pages from an 1896 US history text in describing the Battle of Little Big Horn:



It's clear that the author has no interest in an unbiased representation of the people and events of this famous event.  That this was from a book bought and distributed by a school system in California shows how an institution is complacent with the prevailing racist views of the day.  Is this important?  Or rather why is this important?  Discuss.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...