Skip to main content

Worthwhile

 Even though it seems like half the country is in denial, we are in the middle of a pandemic that shows no signs of slowing up. In fact, if the statistics of the past week are any indication, the predicted "long dark winter" expected by many health professionals is at our doorstep. 

Historically, there will be many attempts to document the social history of this time.  That is, how are people faring in their day to day lives?  What kinds of changes have we adapted to, what do we now do and forget to do now that going outside means wearing a mask or not being able to use cash, or the diminished hours that many retail stores and restaurants have adopted?

Will the President and administration that refuses to take responsibility be elected to a second term?  Despite what the polls say, I think it's still possible that the Denier in Chief, with all his whining and voter suppression tactics, could still pull this election out of the jaws of defeat.  It will take time before anyone on any side breathes anything close to a sigh of relief about the outcome.   

No matter what the method, a voting booth, an envelope in a mailbox, driving your ballot to an official collection box, people are still voting in private.  They say one thing to the pollster and their family and friends and then turn around and vote their deepest fears and biases while alone.  That happens.  

And, just who are these undecided voters.  Anybody still undecided in this divisive atmosphere is some piece of work.  The choice couldn't be more clear.  So what accounts for their indecision.  If I may, let me offer an explanation.  F*E*A*R.   

Values Checklist:



They've been conditioned by decades of advertisements and unreliable sources.  They often claim they haven't done their research yet.  I wonder what that looks like?  Are those folks the same when it comes to choosing the color to paint a room, or buying a pair of shoes?

Some just may choose not to vote at all.  The perfect candidate does not exist.  That should be the mantra.   I've got an idea.  Let's have a nationwide values clarification activity.  Back in the early 70s when I began my teaching career, Values Clarification was all the rage.  We taught the concept of values as principles and ideas that people deemed worthwhile. It's important to have a Values Checklist, so people can be reminded of the concepts and principles that comprise their values. That was followed by clarification activities like scenarios that required people to rank order their values and then see where those choices conflicted with what other people thought.  Knowing what you value and why helps people make decisions they can live with.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...