Skip to main content

Losing Touch

 Our lives are becoming more virtual every day.  Seems as if the combination of the pandemic and the necessity to persevere with everything we desire has created a newfound dependence on our digital connections.  We buy clothing, linen, food, and now most of our holiday gifts online.  School is no longer about buildings and putting our seats together to work cooperatively.  

We already know that things will not be the same if/when we experience some sort of normalcy, but now it seems as if some of those changes are coming into sharp focus exponentially.  Who will we be when our relationships with others outside our inner family circles tail off.  When the way we interact with others becomes limited?  Our experiences are transforming before our eyes.  

What will be lost and gained without the in-person school?  Even now, as we watch live telecast sports events we see the haunting transformations.  Most notably are the empty arenas with cardboard cut-out figures populating the stands.  With shades of "Where's Waldo?" they ring silent as the voiceless audience who paid nothing for admittance is incapable of making a sound.  But sound accompanies most every play.  The canned crowd noise rises and falls with the crack of a bat, or when a halfback busts through the line.  An ace in a tennis match evokes wild applause from yesteryear.  But those artificial...I mean virtual sounds ring out on TV, radio, and internet speakers only.

It's been reported that the great arenas are eerily quiet on the field of play.  Moreover, the refs and umpires can hear almost everything the players say.  Not good sometimes.  Not good most times, I suspect.

With gyms closed it's fair to say that our physical health might suffer even more effects.  Dental and doctor visits have suffered.  Both, another opportunity to lose tough with real people.  

But...maybe the reverse will happen.  With the upcoming vaccinations, perhaps we actually will return to the way things were at the outset of 2020.  Perhaps we will realize how good we had it and commit to never losing the things we took for granted.  These small joys have the potential to impact lives.  Lives that long for the interactions with others that help us define and understand who we are and are becoming.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...