Skip to main content

Paper Bag

 Ask someone who was the first person inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  See if they don't tell you it was Elvis Presley. Not a bad guess, but it's not correct.  But then you knew it was Chuck Berry, right?

Chuck Berry was an American original who had his pulse squarely on the postwar teen culture developing in the mid-1950s.  His ability to write lyrics that those kids could relate to combined with his blues guitar background and guitar creativity was just the ticket.  Berry became an overnight sensation, whose music would remain internationally popular for decades.  In fact, it may well be popular in interstellar cultures because it was sent into outer space on the Voyager mission to Jupiter, Saturn, and beyond.  As an artifact of the diverse cultures on planet Earth, a gold copy of "Johnny B Goode" was included in the items blasted into space.

But Berry's life in music was filled with interactions and experiences with some of the music industry's most greedy promoters.  Because he was often underpaid and not allowed royalties for some of his most well-known sings, Berry was super cautious.  That's why he developed the reputation for being hard to work with and often untrustworthy.  Throughout his career and hundreds of gigs,  he demanded to be paid in cash, delivered in a paper bag.  Sometimes he demanded half the fee before the performance, and the remaining half afterward.  

Chuck Berry also drove his Cadillac to all gigs and demanded to park close up so he could make a quick getaway.  

In the mid-1970s, I saw Chuck Berry perform at a most unlikely setting.  It was in front of the grandstand at Golden Gate Fields racetrack.  Since all of the thoroughbred horse racing in the state was at the county fairs in the summer, this August night featured the Berry concert after a modest program of harness races under the lights.  It was fairly well attended, but not what you'd expect for a rock and roll legend.  



Chuck  Berry did a medley of his familiar hits, backed up by a local group of musicians as was his style.  He always used a local group of young musicians because they came cheap and everybody knew his music.  If they didn't, they were dismissed on the spot.  By the end of the 60 min. performance Berry went into a version of "Rockin" and a Reelin" that would never have passed the censors back then.  But he went on, verse after verse filled with double entendre, much to the delight of the crowd who were well filled with beer on this warm evening by the Bay.  

I had attended with a colleague and his three kids and as we descended the stairway from the clubhouse level to the ground floor, we noticed a small crowd gathered around a car parked under the grandstand.  I walked up to the edge of the crowd and there was Chuck opening the trunk of his Cadillac.  He was putting his guitar in the trunk and getting ready to split.  I never saw any paper bag, but I assure you it was there somewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...