Skip to main content

The Things You See

    I once knew an old Kentucky "good ol' boy" who was fond of saying,  "The things you see when you ain't got a gun." If he saw something outrageous like a poorly dressed person, or perhaps something truly ugly, it could be funny.  But the things you see can be a lot more than that.

      It's often said that the things you see as a young person set the tone for much of your later life.  These are usually things that initially came as either a surprise or shock or perhaps an affirmation of something you wondered about as a child.  Are there evil people in the world?  Does the society I live in treat all people equally?  Does money talk?  Does anybody really win a war?

    We know that people who grew up during the Great Depression forever retain that "Depression mentality.  They waste nothing.  They constantly worry about the vagaries and vicissitudes of the economy.  Having enough food, a decent place to live, and the ability to overcome unpredictable weather are lifelong concerns.



    In my formative years, I saw the Civil Rights movement and a very unpopular war in Vietnam.  It's no wonder much of my life has centered around social justice and working with those less fortunate.  I counted myself in that group as  well because of early experiences where I was considered "the other." Religion had always been a mystery to me because I was raised in a home that had a vague concept of God, but nothing to do with organized religion.  I knew I has a Jewish background because my parent told me, and they often spoke a word or phrase in Yiddish when they didn't want my sister or me to know what they were talking about.  But in school, it was rough.  I didn't go t church or synagogue like most of my friends and neighbors, so I always felt on the outside.  To this day, I think my sister longed to wear a pretty pastel dress on Easter Sunday and go to church with her friends.  

So, what have other generations seen, and how will that impact their futures?  The effects of the COVID pandemic, the mob attack on the nation's capital, and the numerous police brutality cases in recent years will no doubt affect a generation.  One can only hope that these young people will use these experiences and events to springboard their careers in medicine, social work, law enforcement, and the politics of civility.  That is something to be optimistic about.

Next time you find yourself in a discussion about current affairs or life choices with people, see what happens when you raise the question about what kinds of things did you see at a young age that left a significant impression on you?  

    This just might be a good way to find common ground with people you think yu might have nothing in common with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...