Skip to main content

American Idols

     I'm at that age.  The age when people you know and people you have followed all your life begin to die.  Just last week I heard of a high school friend that is now in hospice care.  Since my retirement, I can count six former colleagues that have passed on.  Seems like almost daily I hear of the death of a musician, an entertainer, a politico, or an athlete that I admire(d) that has recently died. It comes it the territory.

    On the other hand, there are idols of mine that are still around.  I was musing about Willie Mays to some friends the other day.  My first idol, I had to have his baseball cards and a signature glove.  That glove was magic to me.  As a Giants fan growing up in LA, it was difficult to find.  My dad and I rode the bus downtown to United Sporting Goods where they had a wall of gloves.  The McGregor Willie Mays model was there and I was over the moon.  Three years later, in the first league championship playoff game, that glove rained down some Willie Mays magic as I drifted back on a high fly ball to dead center and leaped slightly above the 4-foot fence, and robbed Joey Ball of a homerun.  His dad was none too thrilled with my catch, but I was certain the glove did the work and Willie was smiling somewhere.  After that play, the leadoff batter in the first inning, our shortstop, Mike Reynolds, drifted to the edge of the outfield grass and made a diving catch of a windblown pop fly.  Maybe my Yankee team would have a chance of winning after all.  Then the next three hitters, Chuck Fox, Richard Close, and Danny Slaugh, all hit monstrous home runs.  They were all big 12-year-olds, and the game was essentially over before the third out of the first inning.  But that catch was mine...forever.



By my early teens, another idol had come along.  Seeing the Civil Rights movement unfold on TV during the summers of  '63 and '64, by 1965 I was fascinated with a new idol: Bob Dylan.  Soon afterward, I picked up a harmonica and began writing poetry every chance I got.  There was something in the air that Dylan had captured and as the Civil Rights movement became entangled with the unpopularity of the war in Vietnam, new music was on fertile ground.  Dylan said important things and my generation was paying attention. 



    Of course, my idols grew, changed, and ultimately aged.  Both are still living as this is written.  I'm preparing myself for a world without them.  Willie Mays is in his 90s now and Dylan, who is still touring and writing, is in his 80s.  They continue to inspire me as I travel through this world a decade and a half behind them.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...