Skip to main content

Joyful Noise

 What has done it for you?  What in your vast life experience has produced that one emotion?  That unique feeling?  That unforgettable happiness?  How have you experienced Joy?  

Other than the fact that my first real girlfriend was named Joy, I estimate that this welcome friend has occurred in my life a handful of times.  It usually comes with something as life changing as getting that job you wanted, or perhaps an unexpected stroke of good luck.  A reward of some kind or that wonder feeling that comes with being validated, understood, valued.  



Joy often comes when you are open to it.  Case in point.  Many thousands of people have recently felt the exultation of  joy because their team has won a championship, their horse a race, or their candidate a political contest.  But what of those that eschew sports or politics or or other interests.  I think they miss out on something very beneficial.  Something with bigger consequences that meet the eye.

When I try to talk to someone who does not follow baseball and has no interest in doing so, it often feels that they are missing out on something life affirming.  This gets into the area of pleasant memories.  What we choose to remember or forget often has to do with the emotions felt at the time.  If one of those emotions is pure joy you can bet that we'll remember not only how we felt, but where we were and much of what led up to and cam after this exhilaration.

But I can't walk around and pity folks who don't share what produces joy in my life.  I do feel foe them, but they make the choice to accept or ignore the joy producers in life.

So what has done it for you?  For me it's quite simple.  My team, the Giants, winning the World Series, my candidate winning a close election, getting validation from an admired colleague.  More regularly, the horse I backed winning a race, reaching a goal...my first brown trout.  The latter produced a smile I wore for at least a week.  

As a young man, getting positive feedback or date with someone I was attracted to is another good example.  

If I have learned anything in this lifetime, it would be that putting yourself in a position to experience sheer joy is always worthwhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...