Skip to main content

Distraction

 Have you ever had to provide a distraction?  Guiding someone, or a group of people, from seeing or hearing something for the common good.  it can be a noble pursuit even though it sounds like there is the possibility of deception.  But remember the word is distraction.  

People who can compartmentalize their mind are good at this.  They provide the necessary shift from one thing to another because there is a significant reason to do so.  

Case in point:  One summer, I was teaching in a special summer program for high school students at U C Berkeley.  I'd had some success with the I-Search paper, a kind of saturation report where students interview people to find answers and information about a question that they need to have answered.  In this format, I taught various journalistic writing and interviewing skills.  

I had about 15 kids in this class and they ranged in age fro 11-17.  A couple of middle-school kids with pushy parents had wormed their way into the class.  This proved to be no problem because most of the kids in this program were labeled "gifted" and had considerable skills and motivation.  As a group, they gelled quickly, but the older kids seemed to hang out together more often than not.  There were two 10 minute breaks and a 45 minute lunch break.  The class ran from 10 am until 3pm, so thy were needed.  Essentially, I put about 6 months of coursework into a 4 week session.  It was crucial to make the class as interactive as possible since the 3 meetings a week were long ones.

One day, as I returned to the classroom after the lunch break, I noticed a group of the kids from my class all sitting together.  There is something in the middle of the semi-circle they formed.  It was a bird.  A beautiful dove had grabbed their attention.  As I approached the group, one of the kids looked up, saw me, and announced, "He fell out of that tree over there."  The kids were sitting on a small grass quad sprinkled with a few trees that provided shade from the July sun.  The bird appeared to be in decent shape but looking closer I saw that it may have had an injured wing.  No normal dove would stick around to be surrounded by an eager, albeit overly concerned group of adolescents.  



When the class resumed, all but three or four had returned to their seats.  These kids remained with the bird, unsure what to do.  I wondered if I could somehow make this a teaching moment?  That thought passed quickly as I knew some Cal Berkeley students would no doubt care for this bird and know who to contact or what to do next.  The kids decided to tell a few folks to keep their eyes on the bird and decided to place it in the nearby tree from which it originally came.  Nestled in between two branches, the bird looked no worse for wear and the kids returned to class.  

15 Minutes later, while teaching a lesson on types of interview questions I chanced to look out the window.  This classroom was ant the far end of a long hallway and had one side of windows that overlooked the tree filled quad where we had previously been dealing with the bird.  My students sat around a rectangular formation of tables with one side with their backs to the windows.  As my students were writing a list of questions that could not be answered with quick responses, I noticed a large GermanShepard running around the quad.  He was agitated, but not aggressive.  I thought of the bird.  Before I could convince myself that the dog might be a threat to the bird I noticed the dog walking slowly by the window with that dove in his mouth!

Immediately, I knew I must distract my students.  If they saw what I saw, half of them would have leaped for the door and the other half would have been too upset to continue with the lesson.  Remember this is Berkeley, and these kids were, for the most part, Berkeley kids.  Animal welfare was high on their list.  

As teachers must do, I changed the focus of my lesson in such a way as to keep those kids heads down on their papers.  When someone would come up with a great open ended question, I urged everyone to write down the question.  My goal was to keep their heads down and minds occupied for as long as it took.  When it appeared the dog was no longer there, we took our break.  When the kids returned, they told me that someone had taken the injured bird over to the Biology department where students knew how and where the bird could get the care it needed.  Big sign, internally, on my part.  

My distraction worked.  I completed the lesson without losing valuable time ands the bird survived.  I never found out what became of the dog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Body Language

I'm sitting there in a hospital gown, waiting for my doctor to complete my yearly physical.  This is when I look at everything on the walls, read the medical posters, the instructions on any equipment in the room, look in every corner and behind every chair.  I study the paper on the examination table, laugh out loud at the picture of a smiling child holding a bouquet of broccoli, and the note the placement of the computer in the room. Finally, wondering if the gown I'm wearing is on correctly, I focus on myself.  At this point in my life I'm fairly comfortable in a doctor's office.  But it always seems to take so long when waiting for the doc to enter.  So I fidget.  Then I begin a tour of myself.  Scars are tattoos.  I look at the one on my knee and see myself at 12.  Whittling a piece of wood with my Boy Scout jack knife.  The blade slips and I cut a crescent slash through my jeans and into my flesh for life.  50 years later ...

Illusory

What does it take to enrage you?  That moment when your words fly on pure emotion because enough is enough.  Is it a driver that cuts you off at high speed?  What about being an eyewitness to blatant racism or on the receiving end of some obvious injustice? I know some people who never express rage.  I admire them but know full well I am not capable of such distance from that which would bring about such a strong response. Another senseless shooting and 7 people die at the hands of a mentally ill gun owner.  The father of the 20 year old college student lets it fly and somehow millions feel a new sense of relief.  He calls the politicians bastards who do nothing, he wears his pain in public.  The news media responds but we all know that nothing is going to change.  We are the gun country.  We are the place where anybody, anytime, can be cut down just for being there when somebody else snaps. Usually the perpetrators are delusional. ...