Sunday, September 23, 2018

Attraction

A couple of weeks ago I met a wonderful young man just about to begin his career in one of the more stressful helping professions.  Robbie is a sharp, well groomed, young professional who will soon be working with folks that have been diagnosed with all manner of mental illnesses.  Like so many young folks I meet, he had education debt, but also the energy and intellectual curiosity of someone who would make a great friend.
We met at a small dinner party organized around the fact that all attendees had helped one of our neighbors when he sustained an injury that left him on crutches for the better part of 6 months.
Since Robbie will soon be moving about an hour away, the little get together had even more meaning.  Some of my neighbors and I had helped our injured friend without ever meeting each other.  This dinner would remedy that.
The dinner went well.  We talked politics, film, art, and a smattering of neighborhood news.  Before the evening ended Robbie asked me about fly fishing.
"It's something I've always wanted to do," he said.  "I think I'm finally at the point in my life where I can make that dream happen."  I was thrilled.  I've been looking for a fishing buddy as I grow older and less mobile.  Could this stroke of luck really be happening?   Yes, it appeared so.

Over the next few days, I exchanged a few emails and text messages with Robbie.  He was realistic about the money he'd have to spend just to get the gear necessary to fish lakes and streams.  I volunteered to go with him to offer suggestions and evaluate the affordable gear available.  *Note, fly fishing can be expensive, but the good news is that the fish are not aware of what you are wearing or how expensive a rod/reel combination is in your hand.  We made a tentative plan to go shopping together, but I haven't heard from him for about a week.  Maybe he decided to wait until next year, that's certainly understandable since there are only about 2-3 weeks left in the season.  The snow will fall at the higher elevations where the trout swim in a matter of weeks.  I'm wondering, though, perhaps we are much more fascinated with doing something than actually doing it?  Just curious, but it's possible.   Now I know Robbie has more important things on his mind right now, but so far he fits into a pattern of folks I know who "always wanted to learn to fly fish."   And that's OK.  Maybe they know time-consuming and frustrating it can be.  Maybe all the gear, and getting it all in place is a deterrent too.  After all, getting in and out of those waders and wading shoes can leave a person breathless.  And have you ever tried to tie on a #18 fly...it's like threading a needle in a windstorm.
I think there just might be a happy ending to this story.  But Robbie, we only have a few weeks to give it a go.

No comments:

Alternative Service

 Writer Chris Hedges wrote a book called War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning .  Though the title says it all, more specifically, Hedges was...