Saturday, September 8, 2018

Levis Forever

There is a song called "Amanda" by Waylon Jennings that has a verse I've held onto for decades.  I think the song was written in the 1970s when I was in my 30s so it's easy to see the appeal because the aforementioned verse goes:
                                   It's a measure of people who don't understand
                                   The pleasures of life in a hillbilly band
                                   I got my first guitar when I was fourteen
                                   Well I finally made forty, still wearing jeans

I liked the fact that at 40, I was still wearing jeans.  Levis are my jean of choice.  I've had them in many colors, but the 501 blue jeans are the best, by far.  As a teacher, I could wear the brown or black 501s in the classroom and perhaps the blue on a Friday.  In my last month of full-time teaching I wore blue 501s every day.  Guess I wanted to put an exclamation point on the career. Today, it's no big deal, I've seen administrators walk the school halls in denim.  A few years back, it was just too casual.  My aim here is not to discuss the merits of jeans or when they are or are not appropriate, but rather their timelessness.
A few days ago I saw a social media post asking an interesting question.  Some 20 somethings were wondering what the little pocket on the front right pocket is for?  The best they could come up with is keys or cocaine.  It's coins, I informed them.  Then I felt the need to add that there was a time when parking meters took pennies.  A dime, two nickels, and a hand full of pennies would come in handy.  Easily accessible from that little pocket, those few coins would get you an hour or more on the meter. They are or used to be physically durable too.  Not so much anymore.
I sang this verse at 40, 50, 60 and now 70.
Today, when I buy a pair of Levis, they are often locked up in a case.  There are so many varieties, that I've got to wade through the 513s 505s and various other numbers to find the basic 501.  Then it's on to finding a salesperson to unlock the case and find my size.
If I were to edit the song referenced here, I'd ad the line..." still wearing jeans, in the same size.




No comments:

Going Home

 One of the best responses to the argument that dreams are but random firings of brain cells is, "Then why do we have recurring dreams?...