Monday, February 25, 2019

Take Me Home

About two blocks from my home is a lovely pale yellow bungalow.  It features perfectly matched shrubs and a well-tended landscape.  The house has character.  But it is not the house that draws me there, but rather another little house right on the property.
Next to the little walkway that leads to the front door is a tiny home standing on a post.  It's not really a home but it does house something.  Books.  It is one of many "Free Libraries" around my town.  I'm sure you can find a few in your neighborhood as well.
Here, people walking by can stop and open the glass door/window and browse the contents.  If you see something you like or want...take it.  A Free Library is just that.  I'm sure some folks take the books for their own shelves, while others no doubt return what they've borrowed.

This morning I placed three books on the little shelf of the Free Library.  In a week or so I'll go back to see if any are there and if it looks like some sort of turnover has occurred.  If so, I plan to make weekly donations because I'm downsizing a bit and would love to pass on books I need not keep any more.  Of course the danger here is if people, myself included, make this a dumping ground for their trash.  I hope not and I will be careful to make sure what I put in there is of value and worthy of anyone's time.
This whole business of putting books or other objects in public places there for the taking is fascinating.  It is also not new.  There are over 100,000 members of an organization called Book Crossing that encourages members to place books in public places.  They too have been criticized for devaluing books.  But is that really happening? In some ways it's harmless, but some might consider it in the same vein as getting rid of trash or using their favorite places as the local Goodwill.

  Perhaps there is some way to ascertain whether or not the folks who take the books are pleased, if not ecstatic to get a new book.  New to them, at least.
Taking home a book, any way can't be a bad thing.  Neither can the mild surprise and delight that comes with discovering a book or object of art, or anything of value and finding it available for whoever would like it.
In our consumer dominated culture, there are those who are beginning to look the other way.  Yet, getting older is what really brings out the purging mentality.  I'm getting there little by little.  I've begun to think about what I'd like to do with some of the things and art objects I've accumulated over the years.  With such a small family, this becomes a problem unless I, and people in the same predicament, choose to do something about it.  Plus it gives us a say about where and who we might like to see become the new keepers of our former treasures.  For now the downsizing mantra is "space."  I want to see space, places with nothing or at least drastically fewer objects.  I recall once seeing a picture of Gandhi's room.  Aside from a bed, he had his clothing, a pair of glasses, and a small sculpture of the three see no, speak no, hear no evil monkeys.  I think that last object must be some sort of Zen koan.  I'm still working on it's meaning.

No comments:

Time Remembered

 With the recent rise in civil disobedience and demonstrations on college campuses all over the nation, it's not surprising that many of...