Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Pencils

 The newly appointed Secretary of Education, Dr. Miguel Cardona delivered some acceptance remarks this morning.  At the conclusion of his presentation, he quoted a Spanish saying that was most appropriate.  Translated, it means, "We gain strength from joining together."

Hearing these words of wisdom came on the heels of reading an article directed at teachers who are having trouble keeping their students engaged.  With the loss of traditional classrooms comes the added pressure to get students to buy into the whole world of virtual education.  There are ways but that means taking routine lessons and super-charging them with some little things that are designed to get students' attention in dynamic if not dramatic ways.  Ways, I would submit that are unforgettable.  

In the words of a tried and true professional, focus on some "grabbers" at the outset and see if they don't serve you well.  Here's an example.  I have taught many novels by John Steinbeck.  Within their structure are always deeper, overarching themes that many students have difficulty seeing.  While this skill might seem elementary, it is often what makes the difference between appreciating any work of literature and building the motivation to read.  

I once had the time and resources to pair novels in my American Literature class.  So works in the more traditional cannon could be paired with newer or similar or books written by underrepresented authors.  In dealing with Steinbeck, his fascination with "phalanx theory" is crucial.  This is the belief that people behave differently in groups, and that the consciousness of group identity can be a powerful force in social change and social justice.  



Here's how I learned to introduce that concept.  The day before introducing this idea I would get myself a new package of pencils.  In a good school year, I might be able to include them with my classroom supplies order.  If not I liked to go to a stationery store and buy a 12 pack of the brand that had bright yellow pencils with the word American printed on them in royal blue. I would act like a magician in front of the class and produce the package of pencils.  Immediate attention because many were thinking that I might be handing them out.  Slowly I'd take one brand new sparkling pencil out of the pack and then grasp it so that I was holding each end in one hand.  "Watch carefully," I'd say.  Then, sliding my hands toward the middle I'd abruptly snap the pencil in half.  There was an immediate element of surprise.  What teacher deliberately destroys a writing utensil?  Interest and motivation rise.  Then I'd take the package of 11 remaining pencils and try to break them all at once.  No dice. I couldn't even break one when I held the remaining eleven. In fact, I'd tell the class, it can't be done.  The final phase of this brief demo involves inviting who the class considers to be the strongest person in the room to break the 11 pencils at once.  Usually an athlete, the student would give it a try or two or three before giving up.  So what have we learned?  Together there is strength.  

Simple as this is, it makes the point indelible.  


No comments:

Time Remembered

 With the recent rise in civil disobedience and demonstrations on college campuses all over the nation, it's not surprising that many of...