Skip to main content

Living History

 The state of the union is...tired.  It's overwrought, cold and hungry, and irascible.  We're moving into the second year of "lockdown" and many good Americans don't want to be told what to do anymore.  No matter their health, or the health of other people.  They fret and whine about their "freedom." Yet they are the first to remind me and my ilk that "freedom isn't free."  They want it both ways, but that is not on the menu.

Our cities are dotted with homeless camps, shuttered shops, and crumbling infrastructure.  The Congress has a few members who openly advocate political assassination and call themselves "patriots," yet they can't seem to summon the courage to support the impeachment of a president who openly called for insurrection and even promised to join the mob.  He openly lied for 4 years and then warned his supporters that they needed to "take back the country."  Will they continue to fight for it?  Are we our own enemy?  Do they really know what they are getting themselves into? 



The openly fatigued populace would rather just forget.  They deaden themselves daily anyway, what's another item on the list to avoid.  The evidence is omnipresent.  Alcohol, recreational drugs, addictive drugs, pain killers, and paraphernalia abound.  Abound on the ground.  All around.  The town. Count the number of TV commercials for pharmaceuticals each evening.  Try to get the advertising jingle out of your head the next day.  Listen to the fast-talking pitchman speed-read the warnings that accompany each package.

Yet we persevere.  We photograph the beauty that surrounds us and hear the music and taste the food of many cultures nearby.  Just yesterday I photographed a tree stump with a breathtaking array of mushrooms growing from the cracks and layers.  Somehow, amid the complaints and sour dispositions of our fellow beings comes a new appreciation for what we do have and the life we may yet regain.  Does a glass of wine suddenly taste better? How about a cup of coffee?  



We need to be reminded that we are living history these days.  People will ask us in the days yet to come, how it was.  How we got by, kept optimistic, or if we did.  They'll want to know what we saw, how our lives changed, and what consequences remain.  

We will live a record. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...