Skip to main content

Wrong People, Wrong Dreams

 Did you ever wonder who is living in the house where you spent the first couple of decades of your life?  Occasionally we get the chance to drive by a former home.  Always a little eerie? No?  I once looked at my childhood home over Google Maps.  Looking at the color of the house, the yard, and the surrounding homes on the street, it soon became obvious that my former home did not exist.  Inside our heads, they do exist, of course.  But who is walking those halls now?  What kids are spending a sleepless Christmas eve now?  Are all the fruit trees my family planted gone?  What about the Chinese Elm that my grandfather planted in that backyard?  I can't even imagine what our garage looks like.  Oh yeah, it's no longer our garage.



There is a line regarding Arthur Miller's masterpiece, "Death of a Salesman" where Miller,  in a preface to the play looks at the home of the Loman family with hindsight.  He says something like look at that home now, it's still there, but "the wrong people are in the halls."  That line has been tugging at me as I watch the attempted coup taking place in this country by a thoroughly corrupt President.  The wrong people are in the halls of power.

What Donald Trump once referred to as "all the best people" turned out to be just the opposite.  This is often the case with him.  He had the worst possible picks to head the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Education, and so on and so on.  If he had tried to appoint the worst possible people for various federal jobs, he could not have done any better.  Trump projects.  He's consistent on that.  What he says and does is actually the opposite of the truth.  It's the, "It's not me, it's you" behavior that psychologists call the defense mechanism of PROJECTION.  It's the screaming man shouting at the top of his lungs, "Excited, I'm not excited, you're excited."  We've all been on both ends of this behavior.

So now it is 2021 and there really is a new kid on the block.  He's not a kid and the block has only one house, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.  But the halls will have new people walking around.  

As I write this, a new recording has just surfaced of the outgoing President doing another imitation of a mafioso Don.  He's verbally twisting the arm of an election official, repeating lies, and threatening this Secretary of the state of Georgia to "find" some more votes because "we won the election, and it's not fair for them to take it away like this."  Outrageous yes, but more than that, sociopathology in the raw.

Late in Miller's Salesman during Willy Loman's funeral, as part of the requiem, Biff Loman, one of Willy's sons says, "He had the wrong dreams, wrong, all, all wrong."  It's an epiphany for Biff, but the other son Happy disagrees and retaliates, "It's the only dream you can have, to come out number one."  But at what cost.  The dreams, like the people walking the halls were always all wrong.  All wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...