Skip to main content

Not Forgotten

 I knew the day would come.  But it conveniently was so easy to put off.  Yet, these days of pandemic boredom and too much time on my hands brought the inevitable forward.  I've got a job to do.  A very sensitive job, but one that very few care about.  Still, it's time.

I have a very small family.  I could probably fit everyone in my living room.  Just one cousin on my mother's side, a sister, and nobody on my father's side.  Most are gone, and within 20-25 years half of those left will be too.  

Yet their lives in photographs, ephemera, a few personal items, and miscellaneous objects remain.  To this, I can add my personal collection of journals, watercolor paintings, books, poems, photographs, memorabilia, and 30 years of classroom odds and ends from my teaching career.  


What to do with this stuff?  That is the question.  It wouldn't be such a big deal if only there were a few more relatives or my own children to pass it all on to.  Not so.  I have no qualms about getting rid of the stuff, it's just how?  That's what bothers me the most.



I've researched this conundrum.  People prefer fire.  There is something clean about burning things you want to leave no trace.  If some of these items are completely reduced to ashes then there is no chance of them falling into the wrong hands.  We owe that much respect to our ancestors.  We can protect some of our innermost thoughts from becoming public knowledge that way too.  

There is another side of the coin to this too.  Very talented artists sometimes like to make collages or displays of all sorts with these old photos and objects of decades past.  Some I have could actually go to museums because my folks were young and productive in the 1930s and 40s and I have a few items that came in handy for a history teacher discussing the Great Depression with kids who were often entranced with everything from kitchen items, ration books, and clothing from the 1940s.  Since they owned and operated a small-town general store, complete with a soda fountain for a while, I also have a few Coca-Cola artifacts like an ice pick and one of those coveted Coke trays.

I will move some items on by way of a garage sale or online marketplace.  Some will make someone happy and receive new life.  Others demand some sort of ceremony.  That I'm still figuring out.  Any ideas?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Non-Reader

"The man hasn't read a book in years." I keep hearing that about the current occupant of the White House.  Maybe that's as it should be because recent studies say that claim goes for over half the population of this country.  Scary but true.  It's obvious that the President doesn't know the history of this country.  Examples abound. Even for those who can forgive him for inventing the African country of Nambia (he referred to that the other day) the fact that he knows very little about American History doesn't seem sway his followers.  Either they know nothing too or they simply don't care.  Probably both.  Yet, the notion of ignoring history and repeating mistakes looms large all the while. A former colleague of mine, who taught Language Arts for a lifetime used to have a large banner in her classroom. When kids came into this learning environment they saw a sign which read, "Unless We Read, We Live But One Tiny Life." I'd love to hea...