Skip to main content

Writing Your Memories

 I had a hunch they would work.  They did.  I was able to use writing prompts, strategies, and activities I had used with high school students with senior citizens.  Needless to say, this was very gratifying.  Here's the story.

About a year ago, after enrolling in a Tai Chi class through my local community center and then again at a local gym, I met a number of retired seniors who just happened to be some of the friendliest people I have ever known.  Our little community of elders id talkative and delightful.  After talking with a number of them, I realized that they certainly had some stories to tell.  They had been and some still are all manner of professions.  Teachers, nurses, realtors, lawyers, waitresses, architects, and more.  It occurred to me then that a writing class where seniors write about their lives to preserve stories for posterity might be something they'd be interested in.  So, I set about trying to make that happen.  It took about two months to talk to the director of the community center, go through a couple of interviews, submit a CV, and get a background check, before this notion became a reality.  



The interview was definitely memorable.  Here I was at age 78, with over 40 years of teaching experience, being interviewed by two 30 somethings.  The questions were standard, but I couldn't help but think that this is ridiculous.  Please forgive my arrogance.  They meant well, but the questions were required of all working for Portland Parks and Recreation and some were dramatically inappropriate.  Still, even though my students would all be over 60, I had to represent my knowledge of how to work with unmotivated students, and be aware of those who might be abused or otherwise come from difficult circumstances.  Nevertheless, I passed all the required OSHA trainings and began my little writing workshop with 5 students.

A few of the original 5 have gone on with me.  I recently completed the 2nd session and a series of 4 meetings is scheduled to begin next week.  Most surprising has been how most of the seniors have responded.  It occurred to me that most of the teaching techniques I used have been developed long after they were young students.  For example, I showed one person, who wanted to flesh out her piece a bit more, how to use a mind map like a word collage.  She was eager to try and found it quite effective.  Another activity I employed was using the Table of Contents from Sandra Cisneros' House on Mango Street.  This book of vignettes about childhood in a specific neighborhood serves as a model for writing our own vignettes of childhood memories with intriguing titles. 



Oddly enough, while everybody but one person wrote clever titles for specific events, one woman make each title the name of a man she'd previously had a relationship with.  One track, for sure, but definitely saving her memories.

So what have I learned?  First, people can benefit from having structure to write and opportunities to talk about their lives and experiences.  They can improve memory and verbal and social skills in this setting.  Finally there is a good deal of validation when others appreciate our stories and recollections.  Also, and much to my delight, teaching methods developed after many seniors went to school can be quite effective and are definitely are useful with all ages.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...