The life expectancy for American men these days is about 76. As I am about to reach my 79th birthday, I have a few thoughts on the matter.
I wondered, today, if my life ended on schedule, and I were no longer, alive, what I would have missed by now. I made a short list:
1. Another chance to take to the streets in a No Kings rally.
2. Teaching my little writing your memories class at the local community center.
3. Dental appointments where I can wonder what now?
4. The chance to see the next election. (Im optimistic)
5. The first fishing trip of another year.
6. New lakes and streams.
7. A big bash when I reach 80.
8. The Kentucky Derby
9. More significant downsizing (Sweedish death cleaning)
10. Playing blues harp with my friends in our geriatric music group.
This is a partial list, of course. I expect to add to it from time to time. All I have to do is survive. I shall do my best.
I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center. This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits. The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships. Apparently, there were many. I'm OK with that. I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's. There is much to be learned by writing about a quality. The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years. I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s. I took a journal writing workshop from her. Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students. 11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Comments