Skip to main content

Omen

 Looking back now, I think I saw the beginning.  Yes, I saw it coming but wasn't sure what form it would take.  Now that the hue and cry about the dangers of social media is heard internationally and that the  call to limit the use and handling of "devices" in our lives is widespread, I feel sure I saw it coming.  In what was supposed to be an added dimension of learning and positive support, I saw what we were in for. I'm sure of it...now.

It was simple enough at the beginning.  I tried a little experiment in my Honors English classes.  Not a social engineering project, but rather an activity designed for students to extend class discussions, engage one another in a non-threatening, supportive way, and extend their writing skills.  Here's what happened.

Originally, I learned of an activity beginning to be used in  literature and writing classes called "Anonymous Team Journals."  Frustrated by the lack of oral participation by some students in their class discussions, this activity was a way to encourage all students to communicate with one another through team journal entries.  One workshop I attended was led by a teacher who taught a Native American Studies class on the university level. She noted that the native people in her classes rarely participated in class discussions.  Because they often had the most valuable contributions, she wondered if there might be a way that situation could be remedied.  Enter the Team Journal.

Students were divided into teams of 5 or 6, depending on class size.  On a specific day of the week, (Monday, Tuesday...) they would have access to the journal and could write a new entry, respond to an entry already written, or both.  Entries would be based on topics, discussions, that came up in class, or anything else related or worthy of group discussion like current events, or situations that impact the particular learning community.  Sounds intriguing? No?  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...