Skip to main content

Home of the Blues

The thunder and lightning storms stopped.  The flooding abated.  A cooling breeze settled over the city of Austin, Texas.  People came out of hiding an onto the main drags.  Parts of Austin resemble Bourbon Street where music streams from adjacent bars and clubs.  In one block you can go from down in the alley blues to traditional country.  Barkers assist.  Many choices, many chances.
So, we ambled on down to "The Home of the Blues," Antone's.
On this particular night we awaited the arrival of Miss Lavelle, an 89 year old blues singer who has a local following and who has been treating Austin's music scene with her humor and soul for decades.
We got a beer and a table and wondered about food.  Anton'e has a bar, but no kitchen.  There is a little record/souvenir shop in the front of the building that sometimes sells poor-boy sandwiches.  None remained on this night.  But, when a kindly older woman arrived on the scene, something else became apparent.
When Miss Lavelle appears, there is a pot luck.  People bring fried chicken, salads, mac and cheese, and other homemade dishes.  It all goes on the end of the bar.  First Miss Lavelle makes her selections from the array of food. When she is done eating, anyone else can.  That's how it is; always was,always will be.
In a bright Coral dress, Miss Lavelle goes for a piece of chicken and a few other small amounts.  She smiles, and then invites others to partake.  Her burnt orange wig is parted down the middle and on that part, in the middle of her forehead rests a large broach.  Looks and shines like diamonds but I don't think so.
The show starts at 7:00 and the call and response of a love fest ignites the first set she performs.  There is a personal blues about growing up poor in Mississippi, there are a few classics from a huge blues/soul catalog, and a surprise or two.  Like the request to do Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic," which she does with all the ease and grace of everything sung so far.

We stayed for two sets.  A rumor floated over the scene that Miss Lavelle had gone outside into the alley behind the club for a little "refreshment" and encouragement.  Who knows, she's the real deal, all she needs to do is eat first, and she's ready to do it all over again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...