Skip to main content

Pardon the Interruption, Excuse the Accusation

Every teacher knows about interruptions.  They come with the territory.  Usually it's the sudden variety like an announcement, or the classroom door swinging open for a late arrival, a note for a student, or some sort of summons that just couldn't wait until the class arrived at a crucial juncture in a well-planned lesson.
Teachers complain, they ignore, the whine, and they emote, but as sure as yearly layoff notices come by the end of March, classes will be interrupted.
Sometimes the interruptions are memorable.  Two stand out for me in the scope of 34 years.  The first occurred on a quiet afternoon just before my last class for the day ended.  In that two minutes when books are returned or stored away, backpacks are re-packed, and conversions turn casual, I calmly strolled over to my classroom door to open it before the period ending bell rang.  I would often stand by the doorway as classes changed to say farewell to one group and check out the happenings outside before the next group took their seats.  On this day, my seniors were quietly chatting when I approached the door.  I got it about halfway open when an ominous figure appeared.
     Close the door now!
A SWAT team member in full regalia was barking orders to me.
Heads popped up as I locked the door.
"I think I just got dissed," I told the class.
"That's the biggest gun I ever saw," said a squeaky adolescent male.
Short after this initial shock, an announcement blared to the entire school.  An armed suspect in a robbery was loose, possibly on our campus.  We were to await further instructions.
It was a long afternoon.  After about 3 hours, the threat ended and everyone walked out unharmed, if not drained.  No suspect emerged, and the robbery was solved within a week.  Fortunately I had a few lightweight videos on dream interpretation that my students liked to get us through.  Many were late for their after-school jobs.  Missed rides, a shattered sense of security, and new knowledge of our
vulnerability remained.


II.
Twenty years earlier, near the end of my first morning class, the door opens.  All eyes turn left.  We instantly recognize our Principal.  A collective thought remains invisible: "Somebody's in trouble."
It's too late in the class period for an observation, so something is definitely up.  The class turns silent. He walks toward me and I move to a corner of the room simultaneously.
"I hate to do this now," he says.  But I've got to get these out before the end of the day, so I had no choice."
He hands me a white envelope.  It's layoff season and I am on the bottom of the pole.  I expect this, just not this way.  He smiles and leaves.
"What was that about," says Kevin, still not sure that someone, perhaps even himself, is not in trouble.
"It's not about you guys," I reply.  "It's for me."  The lesson is over and only four minutes remain.  Backpacks emerge, lunch is just minutes away.  I open the envelope and see a legal looking document.  I scan the page and see the hearing date and that I will have the right to attend.  It's not my first time.  Before I replace the notice in it's envelope I notice the title of the document.
     Notice of Accusation
So that's what they call these things.  A small smile forms at the corners of my mouth.
Kevin again, "What's that paper say?"
"It's a notice of Accusation; at least that what it says"
Kevin persists: "What are you being accused of?"
Of wanting my job.  Period ends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...