Skip to main content

Impermanent

Things disappear.  Your favorite things included.  Ever walk into your favorite grocery store to pick up a box of or a package of or a few of something you often buy only to discover it isn't being made anymore?  Sure, haven't we all.  But it does seem to me that lately this is a more common occurrence.
I've lost my favorite brands of mayonnaise, energy bar, crackers, and frozen yogurt.  And that's only the tip of the iceberg that seems to be melting ever faster.
It's not just food.  I'm finding that brands of clothing, restaurants, and even soap have come up missing.
I know this happens all the time, but something else is going on here, I fear.  In fact, I once wrote to the manufacturer of a popular hair shampoo because, without notice, it disappeared only to be replaced by a different looking and smelling product under the same name.  All in vain, of course.  I did receive a response, but it only reassured me that they knew what they were doing based on some sort of product research and user poll.  I doubt it.
After seeing a news story the other day about the capability of the Chinese government to track and identify their millions with face recognition technology. I'm suddenly thankful not to have lost my privacy...entirely.

If that's what the future holds for all of us, and rest assured it is, I've found another reason to be thankful that I won't be around for the next century.  That is, of course, if the planet survives the sea level and movement of entire populations to higher ground.
This last week we saw the last of another icon from the automobile world: the Volkswagen Bug.  It was announced that the last one has rolled off the assembly line in Mexico.  Even with the modifications made over the years, the ever-popular Bug looked like it just might stand the test of time.  But no.  We must be content to be left with our stories and memories of the car that could run all week on a dollar's worth of gas.  I, of course can add to my recollections of my first car, a black 1959 VW bug, that it didn't even have a gas gauge.  That's right, you had to keep a ruler in the trunk...a trunk that was in the front under the hood because the engine was in the rear.  I distinctly remember measuring the fuel level by inches.  You had to be careful not to drop the ruler in the tank too!  Time to sing another round of "All these impermanent things." Hope we can still find the lyrics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...