Skip to main content

Tickets Please

There is something particularly haunting about an empty racetrack.  A horse racing oval is what I'm talking about here.  You can find them in the off season or sometimes late in the afternoon.  In the morning they are alive with horses working out or people meeting, negotiating, dreaming and hoping.
What makes an empty track such a striking place is that when un-occupied they look dead.  They are shrines for noise...for the electric...they are emotional places reminiscent of a circus or carnival.  In recent years the probability of finding an empty track has increased dramatically.  Many have closed as the impact of technology has intersected with waning interest in the sport.  Historically, efforts to promote the sport have failed miserably and for some reasons, success has only come in shooting oneself in the foot.  When national interest peaks, some unfortunate accident, or unexplainable tragedy occurs to hasten the public's tolerance of all things horse racing.
In my town, Portland Meadows, the local circuit is closing.  The process has taken about 10 years, having been mostly threats for years.  This time it's for real.  The owner, the same guy who owns Golden Gate Fields and Santa Anita is really under the gun because of a spate of recent injuries and deaths to equine athletes.  The smaller tracks, the B side, if you will, the cheap racing is usually the first to go.  Aside from impacting the horse industry in the state, a track closure means job loss as well as a needed source of revenue for struggling state economies.

Yesterday, I drove over to Portland Meadows to cash a ticket I purchased on Kentucky Derby day.  I'd gone there the day before the Derby to see if I could score a Racing Form and left a bet on the final two races of the day.  A modest $18.00 ticket awaited for the last two months in my wallet.  The track had a few stragglers watching an wagering on races from all over the country.  Dozens of TV monitors displayed races emanating from New York, Chicago, Kentucky, Florida, California, and  Oklahoma.

The place was dead.  A friendly middle aged woman cashed my ticket and informed me that it was no longer possible to bet via cash or voucher now.  Now people have accounts and bet with what closely resembles and functions like a debit card.  Figures...that was coming.  But I can't help but think of what's been lost.
"Oh you no longer have to worry about lost or mutilated tickets," the clerk said.  "It's easier and a lot safer," she said. It also sacrifices your privacy, I thought.  Everything we do these days generates data.  That data leads to all manner of unwanted things as well. 
I'm destined to spend the rest of my life longing for things that no longer exist.  Those old betting tickets were works of art: colorful, full of folkloristic symbols, and coded letters.
At Portland Meadows there is still a neon sign of a running horse.  It'll make a nice addition to someone's collection of antiques.  In the daylight it's rather lacker-luster, but at night it comes alive with red-orange movement.  I took a brief shot of the neon horse.  A last look at a fading icon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...