Skip to main content

Impermanent Dreams

There comes a time when downsizing becomes more than just a good cleanout.  Some items that we seem to have clung too for a lifetime need new homes.  They are the objects with which we have emotional attachments.  They are the things we never could quite have let go of without an emotional toll.
Yesterday I moved one such piece on to a new life.  It was a painting my father bought when a young man in New York City.  The piece was a signed oil by a rather unknown Austrian artist whose father was a bit more famous and thus more successful.  Nevertheless, because the painting is almost 100 years old, despite its condition issues, there is always a chance that it could accrue in value.
I ended up selling the painting for a store...literally.  Well, not literally because I also got about half the asking price, which was fairly modest, to begin with.  The story is that a man bought the painting for his brother, who is beginning to show an interest in collecting art.

Now, we've all heard those Antiques Roadshow stories where a person pays $25. for a piece at an estate sale and it turns out to be worth $25k.  Not the case here.  However, a little TLC and a good cleaning will definitely be advisable for the new owner.  That will raise the value fivefold and make for a desirable and aesthetically pleasing work of art.
What seems to stick with me every time I sell something with childhood recollections is that I tend to react emotionally.  The aforementioned painting hung over the fireplace in my family home.  It was part and parcel of my folks' conception and portion of postwar promise.  It was more than a work of art, it was home and hearth.  No matter how many times we tell ourselves that nothing lasts forever, and even when we have finally come to believe it for keeps, it still manages to pluck the heartstrings with a final tune.
The answer, my friends, isn't blowing in the wind, but it is doable.  I like to make a new narrative and go with that.  For example, some person, who will no doubt outlive me and my entire family will soon be very pleased with his new acquisition.  He might even give it the care and energy it deserves.  It may even be connected to yet another version of all things possible in the American that we know exists.  New life for an old-timer.  Yeah, that works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...