Skip to main content

Speed, Stamina, or Both?

I found an old Peanuts cartoon panel I'd saved the other day.  Lucy is sitting on a rocking horse wearing a football helmet.  Charlie Brown says, "Football is the number one spectator sport in the country, horse racing is number two."  Lucy responds, "I can go either way."
There was a time when horse racing was number one.  The old film clips show the grandstands jammed with thousands.  They once huddled around their radios to listen to the big races.  Telephones used to be banned from all racetracks.  Things have changed.
As the sport struggles to right the sinking ship, there are a number of things that can be done and a number of things that already have been done.

The track surface seems to be the narrative of the recent deaths at Santa Anita.  It's only one variable, and the abnormal amount of absorbed rain in Southern California last year is often cited.  Possibly.  But the strength and stamina of the breed factors in here.  In this country, the emphasis is on speed.  In Europe, it is on stamina.  Given the anatomy and bone structure of a thoroughbred's legs, it makes sense to emphasize endurance over speed.  Just imagine 12-1400 pounds being supported by a leg the size of your wrist.
In Europe and other areas like South Africa, and Asia, the emphasis is on turf racing.  Grass.  Green grass is kinder on the legs.
Because of opportunities that offer inflated purses, in America, we race 2-year-olds.  That needs to change.  Some say they are too young and it weakens the legs.  Others say the older a horse, the less sound the horse.  Let's eliminate 2-year-old racing and see what happens.
And then there is the whip.  This reform is already being instituted.  Jockeys use the whip in many ways.  "As a reminder" some would say, but there are many horses who simply won't run on when being hit by a whip.  A new design has emerged, sort of a "Nerf-whip" if you will, this allows for encouragement without the sting.
Stand by the rail on the turn for home at any racetrack and listen.  Down the stretch is when jockeys produce and use the whip.  Just listen to the sound from a distance of about 20 yards and then decide.
On November 1st, all eyes will be on the Breeder's Cup Championship races at Santa Anita.  If any horse goes down on that two-day event, you'll hear the collective gasp in surround sound.
One horse racing fan I know has pointed out a very interesting little point of information.  While politicians and animal rights activists are railing against deaths of 36 horses, the Bureau of Land Management has recently voted to destroy thousands of wild horses that still roam what's left of the western range.  Where is the outrage there?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...