Skip to main content

No Weatherman Needed

Various theories of representation with regard to congressional members exist.  They essentially say that an elected representative, either Congress or Senate votes with either his/her conscience, party, or constituency.   That's logical, but in today's political climate, there seems little place for the conscience if the representative has any hope of re-election.
As the current impeachment debate slogs along, more and more members of Congress are struggling with which theory best serves them.
My bias is that an act of conscience is the preferred choice.  To me, it's much higher on the moral reasoning spectrum.  That skill seems most desireable for a lawmaker in my book.
Not so with so many in Congress today and their districts.  The country is awash with divided political opinion and most shocking is that so many are having a difficult time deciphering just what it is that they think

                     How will I know what I think until I see what I write

My advice is t do a little writing if this is such a difficult choice.  But then we have competing narratives detailing just exactly what this vote is all about.  I concede that both sides have some (albeit very few) valid points but when indisputable facts fail to create an agreement, then you know we're in trouble.  So to paraphrase a useful phrase rooted in the lore of impeachment, "what did the President do and when did he do it."
It seems like all these folks who wear the Congressional pin ought to be able to agree on what was done when.  It hasn't happened yet, I'm afraid.
Today the news cycle was sporting a new tale.  A Democrat, who was having trouble agreeing with his constituency over his aye or nay vote on impeachment has decided to become a Republican.  He fears losing re-election.  I hope the people he represents make him pay for that choice.  Not because he wants to change party, but because he refuses to grapple with his conscience.  Does this guy know what he believes and values?  How could he, fear got in the way.  Hard choices take real leadership.  The kind of leadership that a feather in the wind political seems oblivious to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...