Skip to main content

When the Trucks Roll



                 They say everything can be replaced
                 Yet every distance is not near
                 So I remember every face
                 Of every man who put me here
                                                -Bob Dylan
                                                I Shall Be Released


I'm watching much of the Impeachment hearings.  My attention wanes on occasion.  It's tedious. But then we knew that.  This time around, the division is palpable.  It is wearily all-consuming.  Both sides see the same set of facts differently.  They dispute the rules; they insult one another's intelligence, they profess outrage.  They know what they know.
But what do we see when we see them?  What gets triggered when they exercise their sense of their own power.  I see the trucks.
In carefully answering an interviewer's question about trust, with regard to one you might fear, Nobel laureate Toni Morrison once said, "when the trucks roll, I still think they will put me on the truck."
This chilling view is probably more common than we might think.  In an atmosphere of fear, we can convince ourselves that being too careful is not an option.
Those who seem to be able to rationalize many of the actions of the current President of the United States are the faces.  Some look like mild-mannered folks, some like caring mothers and wives.  Their appearance belies their intention.  We've seen this before and sadly, it is upon us again.
I see something else too.  I see the accused sitting in a courtroom, life on trial, knowing full well the verdict has been decided.  Knowing that nothing said or demonstrated in that courtroom will have any impact on the outcome of their fate.  Those scenes were repeated in our collective history time and again.  Instead of trucks rolling, lynch mobs boiled up from the red dirt of our countryside.  Forced confessions flourished.  Scars continuously ignored, the victims of injustice had no recourse but to accept the fate conjured up by the imbalance of power.

I see a child riding on a railcar.  The ground is snow-covered, The guard outside the car speaks his language.  He may even know the family.  They do not speak on this day.  What goes through their minds? What awaits at the end of this crucial day?   led both to position themselves accordingly that morning?  Wheels turn.
The railcar yields to a truck that is waiting to take one of them to their future.  They will never speak again.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...