Skip to main content

Corona Chronicle

Outside it looks as if everyone is riding the range.  Bandanas make pedestrians all look like bank robbers or kids playing Western movies.   But they are necessary now that we've moved into our third week of quarantine.
The gym is closed so we've taken to long walks trying to get in those thousands of steps.  It's easy to cross the street now.  Anywhere.  People approach on the sidewalk and come within 100 feet or so before the little game of "chicken" takes place and somebody either crosses the street or goes wide.
Rarely do  I see more than a pair of people moving about together.  Nobody sits at the outside tables of restaurants or bars because they've all been removed.  In my neighborhood, like many I suspect, businesses are taking this time to remodel, re-do the floors.  The new businesses that we were waiting for are all on hold.
This year my tax man would meet no client in person.  After a phone call, we remembered to take our own pens and then wait in front of the door at the office.  Through a slop, the forms were marked for signing.  We did it all without touching anything but our pens.  Our own pens.
I haven't touched my harmonicas in a month.  I sanitized them with a peroxide bath and put them to bed for a while.

The walks we take are longer.  They reveal some amusingly desperate street art.  The Brewery near me is still open and people ease their cars up to get their beer and pub food and then go home.
Most establishments have signs posted about their commitment to social distancing and what the new rules for them doing business are or are not.  We have come to believe that we are now living in a dystopic novel.  A simple trip to the grocery store will cement that notion.  Shopping carts are sanitized after each use.  Spots are painted orange on the floor to tell customers where to stand and await their turn at the check stand.  Paper products are rare.  Anyone over 65 is admitted between 8 and 9 am.  It's laughable when the soundtrack of shopping music hardly reflects the tastes of the post 65 set.  The usual Wednesday 10% discount is offered every day now.  There are no more samples of cheese, berries, or crackers.


The other day I walked by a car with a sign posted on the back window.  A few minutes late I walked back to snap a picture of someone's message.  It occurred to me that there are many ways to interpret those three words.  A sign of the times.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...