Skip to main content

Hard Times Come Again No More

Just now, on the "Breaking News" is a line of cars miles long somewhere in Texas.  People lined up for food.  No job and now no food in the continuing pandemic reality we've inherited.  All this while in other parts of the country crops are being plowed under and milk is poured in ditches to raise farmer's prices.
85 years ago, we saw the same thing.  In the Great Depression, people formed bread lines and instructed the soup ladelers to "dip deep, goddammit."  The soup was so thin that only a deep dip would retrieve a chunk of potato or an errant piece of carrot.  We've been here before as a nation.
Just as the trauma of a national depression left permanent scars, so too will this coronavirus pandemic.  In preparing for a "new normal" we would do well to remind ourselves about the lessons of the Great Depression.
In his remarkable oral history of the Depression, Studs Terkel interviewed many folks from all walks of life.  Some of the stories they tell resonate loudly today.  People don't soon forget the feeling in their gut that accompanies hunger when they realize that potato crops have been burned or that the milk that would nourish their babies lies spoiling in the dirt.  Econ. 101...supply and demand.
There was an upside too.  A few folks did very well during those hard times.  Terkel met a man who realized that people could no longer afford to buy birthday or anniversary gifts, but would spend a little more for a greeting card.  He designed and successfully sold a line of cards that was very lucrative in a downtime.  Similarly, one guy figured out how to sell a complete chicken dinner cheaply.  Demand soared.  He made money.  On one occasion, a man pawned his radio in order to get one of those dinners for his family.   There may be similar stories today, but I fee we are more inclined to scam on another these days.
So yes, this sort of "Hard Times" is certainly not new.  Jokes abound.  One currently going around, says your great grandparents sacrificed and went to war against a common enemy.  They united to defeat racism, and you are being asked to sit on the couch and stay home.  Buck up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...