Skip to main content

Back In The Day

 My old high school (the one I attended, not taught at) has a Facebook page.  "People Who Attended________-High School." Mostly it's Baby Boomers discussing their favorite songs from the 60s, whatever happened to a favorite pizza place, or hangout, and sharing scanned photos from old football games or dances.  Seems to me that the people who frequent this page are the ones clinging to their youthful identities a bit more than most.  I think too, that many of them still live within the boundaries of the school district.  In any case, whenever I look there, a name rings a bell, the death of a former teacher is announced, or more frequently these days, the passing of a former student is the topic of discussion.

My high school years were 1962-65.  It was the era of car clubs for boys, social clubs for girls, and lots of recognition for school athletics. There was a dance every Friday night.  That's right, every Friday night.  Sometimes admission was only 25 cents because the music was Top 40 records.  Occasionally a live band provided the music.  Admission climbed to 75 cents or a dollar.  On rare occasions, performers with hit records currently in the top 10 would belt out their music in the gym, complete with sequins that gleamed off a twirling disco ball.  And that was pre-disco too.  But that meant that everybody had someplace to go on Friday night.  Even if only for an hour, people stopped by, talked to a favorite teacher chaperoning that night, and met new friends.



In those days the Senior classes had names, colors, class sweaters, and mottos.  It was a big deal.  Nothing like that exists now.  My own students found it difficult to believe that there was a dance every Friday.  During my last few years in the classroom, I saw more dances canceled than actually happen.  Things are more complicated today and therefore more expensive.  But it is not my intent to judge or compare these two time frames.  Things change.  What is lost and what is gained is not always an even tradeoff.  We really cannot go home again and we know it.  

Yet, those who would extol the virtues of that simpler time seem lost in the impossibility of progress.  It may or may not be more complicated for high school kids to enjoy a social activity today, but do we stop trying?  It's easy to watch those old films, laugh at the old photos, comment on how naive people seem, but who and where is the last laugh.  There is no sound reason that we can't have school again.  And no sound reason why some things can't be simplified so people have fun in the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...