Skip to main content

Oh Brother Where Art Thou From?

 They are only small phrases, but we hear them all the time.  Perhaps a different or embellished way of spouting a cliche?  Perhaps something someone said in our formative years that wouldn't leave us alone.  So enchanting that we made it part of our permanent response file.

I'm talking about those expressions people say, repeatedly, that somehow stick with us over the years.  Case in point: Lots of folks say "Oh Brother," when astonished or faced with sudden disappointment.  I say "Oh Brother, Bob."  That's because about 40 years ago I had a girlfriend whose family emulated their father who had a brother named Bob.  My friend's father would say "Oh Brother, Bob as a small child responding to an older brother.  The phrase stuck was passed on to every family member, and then to me when exposed to its constant use.  Perhaps adding "Bob" gives it more appeal, more sting, more astonishment?  Probably not.  Still, I've noticed when I use the phrase while watching a baseball or football game or reacting to some of the unprecedented political developments of the past year, people pick it up.



Here's another that has stayed with me.  People often say "For cryin' out loud" when angry or upset.  I say "For cryin' on a bucket."  This comes from a neighbor and his family that shared my childhood.  Two mischievous brothers who lived just down the street from me were always getting disciplined by their father.  Dad, a Boston native transplanted to Southern California would shriek "Oh for cryin' in a bucket."  His words were always heeded, but we'd all find some time to giggle about that phrase afterward.

There are others, and I'm sure you have a few yourself.  I've noticed that terms and phrases are fairly popular these days.  Waving a finger like a metronome is all too common on the basketball court.  If in an excited sports watching frenzy, I find that the defense held, or a feared hitter from the opposition strikes out ending a threat, I'll blurt out, "You better just forgeet about it!"  That's because one of the neighborhood kids I played baseball with had a shop teacher in middle school who used to turn down his students' requests with that expression.  He adopted it and brought the phrase to all neighborhood affairs from that time on.  As a 16-year-old driver, if someone cut him off or wanted t make a sudden left turn in front of him, he'd blurt out, "You better just forgeet about it."  I catch myself saying those words on occasion some 60 years later.  

This is urban folklore at its best. it survives and becomes part of our oral tradition.  As the world becomes smaller through encroaching technology, what was once a local expression in a small corner of one country count end up anywhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...