Skip to main content

Transformational Music

 I received an email from an old friend last week.  We'd been sharing memories of a mutual friend who recently died.  While I haven't seen her in over 40 years, I do recall a brief visit when she was passing through the Bay Area in the late 1970s.  

I used to date her sister and she dated my best friend.  These were teen-age dates, mostly, but their importance and dare I say significance has surfaced since we've been talking about our lost friend.  

It's about the music.  Those dates from the mid 1960s until the early 1970s revolved around the music scene in Los Angeles.  While those years are most notable for the Rock and Folk-Rock groups that emerged, it was the small club scene that we frequented.  The Ash Grove was a small folk music venue on Melrose Blvd. in Hollywood that emerged as the place to go.  Here we saw many of the blues greats in their prime.  The irony, of course, is that many of these performers were well into their 60s and 70s and would not be around all that much longer.  

When I tell younger people today that I saw Son House, Howlin" Wolf, and Big Mama Thornton in a small club, they are in awe.  But that was reality back then.  My friend's recent email asked me to send her a list of all the artists we saw back then.  She was hoping it might jog her mind and help her memory.  So recently, I sat down and deliberately made such a list.  

On my list are the above mentioned names as well as a who's who of folk and blues that includes the likes of Lightnin' Hopkins, Doc Watson, Sleepy John Estes, Taj Mahal, and Elizabeth Cotton.  As the late 60s turned into the early 70s, there were other special shows too.  Two come to mind.  One was a special promotion called the "Angry Arts." It featured a program of writers, musicians, and graphic artists all opposed to the Vietnam war who had produced anti-war works of some kind.  

I went to one such performance and recall a reading given by Dalton Trumbo, the author of the anti-war novel Johnnie Got His Gun.  Trumbo had been blacklisted in the 1950s for his politics, but continued to screen write for various movie producers under other names.  He chose a selection from his novel to read that night. It ended with the following lines:

    What's noble about being dead? Because when you're dead mister, it's all over. It's the end. You're less than a dog, less than a rat, less than a bee or an ant, less than a whiter maggot crawling around on a dungheap. You're dead mister and you died for nothing

You're dead mister.  Dead.

Trumbo's voice rose and fell.  The last few words were delivered almost in a whisper.  Then, with the audience entranced, he delivered the last word in a loud rage.  And the lights went out.  Total blackness.  It was chilling.  

Another special show featured a bluesman I'd never heard of  until that night.  Arthur "BigBoy" Crudup was a Chicago bluesman who had made some recordings in the 30s and 40s.  He was virtually obscure until being rediscovered in the late 60s. That night, in the Ash Grove the house was packed.  In the audience were all manner of young local musicians. many of them currently playing at the many LA venues.  Who was this guy Crudup that they all turned out?  



Arthur Crudup had written and recorded a song in 1946 called "That's All Right." In 1955 an unknown Elvis Presley had taken the song and recorded it in a classic rockabilly style.  The rest is history.  Crudup had never received proper royalties but the young musicians began referring him to the "Father of Rock and Roll." They knew, and they wanted to see this seminal figure.  He died a few years later, but that night, at the Ash Grove, in a small way, he got his due.  Too bad he didn't get the money he was denied.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...