Skip to main content

Next World

The man was very centered.  He was clam and thoughtful and smiled when he spoke.  His ideas appeared well thought out and he was dressed for the occasion.  A nice business suit is definitely appropriate for an appearance on 60 Minutes, still among the most watched television programs.
The man is an expert.  After a few niceties, he uttered a profound thought.  "It's probably the most important invention since electricity," he said.
The man is a successful Chinese businessman.  He is not both enamored by and involved solely with his expertise: A I...Artificial Intelligence.

The TV interview was punctuated with images of video screens that reduced people walking down busy city streets to numbers and black and white descriptions of their clothing.
The man said, "it's coming whether we like it or not," in many ways.  He was convincing.
The man explained that we do not want to think for machines, rather we want to teach them to think for themselves.
The man is from a country with 5 billion people.  Each one has a face that can be used as an individual identity.  The computers can quickly measure the size and shape of an individual nose the exact distance between the eyes.  The man made it sound like this precision is something that is so precise that the computers are to be trusted.  He also mentioned that data is now his countries most valuable resource.
The man's name is Kai-Fu-Lee and he is known as "the oracle of AI."
Before his interview was concluded, Mr. Lee left us with a comforting thought.  He agreed that computers will never be able to think like humans.  He conceded the argument that they will ever have the internal and emotional workings of people.  BREATHE...
Fortunately, people of my age bracket will not have to worry too much about this world that is sure to come.  Mr. Lee thinks much of the major changes...those that will engulf about 40% of the jobs now available to humans, are between 30-50 years away.
My first impulse is Resist!  But then I won't be around to feel many of the upcoming consequences.  Still, my perspective becomes even more valuable because of that.  I may even be able to see the value of my life , as it was and continues to be, through a new lens.
The man scares me, but his smile is so pleasant.  A Zen koan?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...