Skip to main content

Teaching Reality

New day, new year...but an old dream with a new twist.  One recurring teaching dream that seems to find me now and again popped up on a cold, fairly quiet (until the firecrackers started) New Year's Eve concerns the last class of the day.  The recurring part is that I have a class in a room that is not my own and, of course I have forgotten to prepare adequately for it.  It's always a challenge for me to find the exact room because I have to walk across a big campus that offers me only a vague sense of where I am.  The class is reminiscent of one I had many years ago because it has a large group of hyperactive, low-skilled 9th graders who have very little buy-in to the whole notion of school and reading.  Even with no lesson plan I am not at a loss because these kids are mostly the ones that have given up and been given up on.  I want to establish some reading and writing routines and am willing to try all manner of strategies.  But, in the dream I enter the room and have to make some decisions quickly because I always arrive right when the tardy bell rings having had difficulty finding the classroom.

I should say at this point that yesterday I heard on our local public radio station an interview with a friend of mine who teaches at the local city college.  She was describing her students as those who want a college experience, but haven't enjoyed much success because they come from severely disadvantaged backgrounds or are vets with PTSD, or have learning disabilities. Many of these first year college students have never read an entire book, and that is a goal of her course...a novel of their own choosing.
Back to my dream:  My classroom appears very different when I begin to take role and I notice there are many nooks and small rooms attached like coves in a large lake.  So in walking around the room taking roll, I notice small groups of students sitting together and many seem to know each other.  This geography could be an advantage, I think.
I scramble around looking for a class set of books I believe is in one of the cupboards.  I want to do some reading with this group so I can assess their reading and interest levels.  No books.  From out of the blue I get an idea and pass out some 8x11 sheets of blank paper and ask the class to fold their papers into small squares by folding the paper in half again and again.  From there I ask each student to place their response to a question in each square...about 16 squares in all.  Somehow, the questions calling for a response just keep coming and I realize by connecting the squares in any order each student will have a story to tell, or even a series of stories to tell.  This is somewhat reminiscent of a mind-map strategy I've used before but never as a writing strategy in an English class.
When I awake I have a strong sense of accomplishment, but realize that this class for this group of students needs to be planned out carefully for the year and I need to get some books in the room
pronto!
I'm also reminded that, on occasion, some of the best lessons are those that arise out of immediate need and can't quite be planned out.  That's the reality of teaching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...