Skip to main content

Lesson Learned

Valentine's day is rapidly becoming a dreaded holiday.  Is it the obligation or the routine that makes people dread February 14.  Perhaps it's the timing.  Remember those little cartoon-like Valentine cards we used to trade in elementary school?  So much easier then.
As I look back on my romance history the regrets and mistakes, the successes and surprises, it occurs to me that the ones who I walked with for only a short time (or never) deserve a poem too.  Most of us have had people try to fix us up with someone who they thought would be a good match, only to wonder if our well-meaning friends really knew us at all.
I hear that this day can be difficult for many people because it underscores their loneliness.
It need not be that way.











A valentine for those that never were

For the slight attractions,
And the duly warned,
For the blind dates never seen,
Our mutual friends meant well.
Time heals with humor too.


For the one who couldn't recognize
The stellar voice of Nat "King" Cole,
And she who couldn't be touched,


For the one with knuckle tattoos,
And the adventurer whose hair was just too red,
For those who cut and ran,
Who knows what goes through the mind.
Each episode a sit-com or a hard lesson learned.

Shadows dark as chocolate,
Blood pure as a red blend.
I raise my glass to you cardless but
Never forgotten.

Comments

Bonnie B said…
Well said Bruce!💜

Popular posts from this blog

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...