Skip to main content

Atypical Scout

The newscaster said the Boy Scouts of American were in bankruptcy.  Given recent events, I wondered if he meant financial or moral bankruptcy.  Turns out it's both.  The court cases connected to a swirling amount of abuse cases seem to have done in the venerable organization.  I guess that means Boy's Life magazine is no more too.  It probably went the way of magazines already.
Most guys I know probably have had some memory as a Boy Scout.  Most of us, I think, have more positive recollections rather than trauma.  But as Clay Risen points out, in a recent op-ed piece in the New York Times, the Boy Scouts may be gone, but scouting remains.  All the skills and experiences connected to camping, nature study, and community service still survive.  Now, I suppose, we will have an inclusive organization that gives young people, male and female and non-binary those same opportunities and experiences.  My time as a Boy Scout was lifechanging.  Fortunately, it was not marred by any irregularities, though there were a few close calls and definitely many memorable times.

My Boy Scout troop was atypical.  We were a rag-tag group that met at our elementary school auditorium.  Dues was 50 cents, and meetings always began and ended with the Scout oath.  Our Scoutmaster was an LA cop who ran a tight ship and took his role seriously with intelligence and empathy.  Our camping trips were atypical as well.  The Scoutmaster and his assistants had procured an old telephone company stake truck that laden with pounds of camping gear and about  15  9-12 year-olds would chug along, spewing diesel fumes.  We went to some beautiful places in the Angeles National Forest and even to Kings Canyon National Park.
I learned to fish while a Boy Scout.  I froze in a pup-tent hoarding Oreo cookies and playing Crazy 8s.  I laughed, worried, itched from insect bites and poison oak and stinging nettles, and learned to make perfect pancakes.
When a neighborhood friend in my troop decided to go for Eagle Scout, I went with him.  By age 12, we both attained this high honor.  I'm still proud of this accomplishment all these years later because I learned to become a stronger swimmer and overcome other fears along the way.
I can probably still tie a few of the knots I learned.  Don't think I've forgotten them all.  What else is unforgettable are the people I met along the way.
Those stories in the next post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...