Skip to main content

Parental Power

It is fascinating to watch people who have strong feelings about something they know nothing about.  I'm talking about all the fuss about "critical race theory" being taught in schools.  Most who think they oppose this idea don't seem to know what it is much less that it isn't being "taught," 

By way of definition, critical race theory refers to the practice of viewing history through the lens of race.  Imagine teaching the history of this country any other way.  Since its inception, race and the social pyramid that sees one race on top of the power structure and others below has been the state of play.  If you support changing that narrative, then you support both a skewed view of history and a dishonest one.  

My decades in public education tell me that there is no way any person or body, public or private can prevent a dedicated teacher from suppressing the truth.   When the door closes and the discussion begins it's only the students and their teacher.  No public forums are there.  They grouse about what they think is going on, but they rarely are present to see for themselves.

I'm especially amused by the right-wing folks who constantly spread fear about how teachers are brainwashing their sons, daughters, and transgendered children.  What a joke.  As if teenagers were so easy to convince.  As one observer has pointed out, if we could do that, then perhaps we could "brainwash" them to do their homework, keep up with their reading and attend class every day.  



Let's get into the heads of those who would prevent their children from learning the truth.  Yes, the truth.  The racial attitudes and resultant policies and conditions in this country were brutal.  It's well documented.  Why not examine this reality critically.  What choice do we have?  Who are we protecting and most importantly why?  

Some parents say they don't like the way teaching and discussing these difficult topics make their children feel.  OK, but wouldn't you rather they feel something than ignore or avoid something?

A sidebar to all this is the fact that a recent loss by a Democratic candidate can be laid at the feet of a remark he made shortly before election day.  "Parents shouldn't tell teachers what to teach," he said.  Mistake.  If you know public education, then you know that at the end of the day, it's the parents who have the power.  That's a given that some have to learn the hard way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...