Skip to main content

Say Your Name

 


"Those who see giants are still looking at the world through the eyes of a child."

                                                                                                       -Anais Nin


I love this quote by Anais Nin.  The reasons for my admiration will be forthcoming, but for now, let's consider Ms. Nin, herself.  There was a time back in the early 1970s when it seemed as if there was hardly a young woman who wasn't reading one or more books of The Diary of Anais Nin.  Her personal journals were both fascinating and informative.  he was known as a writer and friend and confidant of some fairly famous folks in the literary circles of her time.  But, it took years of writing erotica under an assumed name or two just to pay the rent and eat.  



Anais Nin's perceptions and musings are riveting at times but her wisdom is what shines through.  When your literary friends include Henry Miller and Kenneth Patchen, it makes for a very unpredictable and stimulating life.  These folks often wrote letters to one another.  Real letters.  I don't really see the "collected emails" of some of today's most popular writers as being a possibility someday.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but in the day and age of Anais Nin, that was the way writers communicated.

In the early 1970s I was working at a residential treatment center for kids who were classified as "emotionally disturbed." The facility had a Jungian foundation and the young staff of couples and conscientious objectors to the Vietnam War formed a kind of literary community. Most of the women there, both counseling staff and office workers carried a copy of Ms. Nin's diary.  Discussion groups formed and Nin became a "giant" in their eyes.  Her admirers seemed to look to her for everything.  That's why when she came to speak on the UC Berkeley campus, the agency bought a block of tickets right in front, center aisle.  Her presentation was gentle and thoughtful.  She appeared more like someone's still wrapped, grandmother.  Her smile was soft and sincere.   At one point she was asked about the pronunciation of her name.  Most people I knew said A ni is.  But she quickly corrected that and said it is Anna eis.

After her presentation, she graciously agreed to sign her books that were available for purchase.  I'd bought a small volume of her poetry, so I stood in line.  When my turn came, I quietly walked the few steps to where she stood.  

"And what is your name and what do you do?" she asked. I told her my name and said that I was a poet too.  "To Bruce the poet," she wrote.  It was all very peaceful and satisfying.  She seemed genuine. 

I'm not sure I still have that book.  In the 50 years since that night, somebody perusing my bookshelf must have been attracted to the erotica.  Perhaps I lent it to someone, I really can't remember. What does stay with me is how revered she was and probably still is.  Definitely a giant in the mind of so many.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quality of Optimism

 I've returned to The Book of Qualities, by J Ruth Gentler once again to meet the needs of one of the senior students in my little Writing From Memory class I'm currently teaching in my local community center.  This little volume personifies various concepts and personality traits.  The particular student "in need" seems to be fixated on writing about her past relationships.  Apparently, there were many.   I'm OK with that.  I only hope that she picks a few qualities that are as revealing about herself as those that might describe her Ex's.  There is much to be learned by writing about a quality.  The aforementioned book seems to have survived well over the years.  I first encountered it and its author way back in the late 1970s.  I took a journal writing workshop from her.  Then, a few years later, her book came out and I introduced these writing exercises to my students.  11th grade Juniors seemed to do the best with it. ...

Mr. Greene v. Mr. Brown

I want to tell you about something. Something I've carried inside myself for a number of years now. Perhaps if I were a different kind of person I wouldn't need to talk about it. I'm not. My need to tell it is stronger than your need to hear it. Because, however, there are a number of teachers and former students of mine who may read these meanderings from time to time, I need to tell this story all the more. About 7 or 8 years ago I was asked if I would allow a university PhD. candidate to observe an English class. At first I decided against it because I was scheduled to have a student teacher placed with me the second half of the semester in question. After some urging, however, at the request of a respected colleague, I agreed. Soon I was committing to extra meetings, signing documents and explaining to the class in question who the young woman who thoughtfully pounded away on a laptop in the rear of the classroom three times a week was. I knew that the topic of ...

Writing on the Wall

       The first time I saw graffiti that was memorable was in a middle school bathroom.  As 6th graders I often walked home with friends by the middle school we'd soon be attending.  A stop by the boys bathroom near the boys gym placed me face to face with a piece of graffiti that immediately madame and my friends laugh uncontrollably.  On the wall above the urinals, was penned a short poem that read"                     This is a Teepee to take a pee pee,                         Not a wigwam to beat your tom tom      14 year-old humor at it's best.  The laughter my friends and I experienced was cathartic.  Being bottom of the barrel Freshmen could have dire consequences in the boys bathroom.  Those unpleasantries would come later, but for the moment, we were ecstatic and proceeded to read all the g...